Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default minor problems

My jeep seems to run fine usually. A problem just started happening with the transfer case linkage. It has the selectrac transfer (the good one with 2wd, full time, part time, and 4Low). When I try to shift into 2wd it gets stuck in part time. I can get under it and put it in 2wd , but even then it doesn't want to cooperate right away, but it does go back in 2wd. Could this just be a $3 bushing? I think it is but would like to know if anyone knows problems I should look for.
Also when I first got it it started in two seconds, then it went to taking like ten seconds to start. It broke down on me and I thought the fuel pump was out because I could not hear it run. I took it apart and figured out the pump was ok , but I cleaned the dirt out of tank, and replaced the filter. The problem that made it stop running was my o2 sensor wires wrapped around my driveshaft somehow and I can't remember if fuses blew or if I just re did the wiring, but anyway it started again in 2 seconds. Then it started taking long again to start after about a week. Now it starts cold in first crank , but warm it takes ten seconds again.
Also for the first year I drove it , it would go through spitting and sputtering spells where it would almost quit and sometimes would , then it would fire up again like nothing happened. Don't know what happened but it stopped doing that. Really any hill or long drive it would almost die repeatedly like a coil breaking down.
I have heard of a computer or something on the firewall that had a screw in it that could short out, maby moisture got in there and shorted it?
That jeep has been tough, it has had some wierd issues , but it seems to fix itself , lol.
I have just replaced the muffler with a dynomax super turbo muffler. I have to say , even with a cheap walker tailpipe it seems to have the same power as no muffler at all. So I am happy with Dynomax. Not to loud either, I want go power , not annoying head ache noise, and this muffler gives it to me.