Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

merchant tire put no oil in zj now seized bearing or bad rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default merchant tire put no oil in zj now seized bearing or bad rod

well i got this jeep 3 weeks ago well drove it for a little and desided to let them change my oil before a trip to the mountions for weekend well 300 miles after oil change i heard a bad knock sound pulled over and checked the oil no oil at all but i had great oil pressure well i called merchant tire who did the oil change they sent out a tow truck to pick up the jeep and was post to look at it today well they called me at 11 pm that night saying oh the oil is full well i went up there this morning and checked oil now some how it over by 2 quarts but a siezed bearing or rod wont break with oil only if it was dry am i wont or right
Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by dogdog130
well i got this jeep 3 weeks ago well drove it for a little and desided to let them change my oil before a trip to the mountions for weekend well 300 miles after oil change i heard a bad knock sound pulled over and checked the oil no oil at all but i had great oil pressure well i called merchant tire who did the oil change they sent out a tow truck to pick up the jeep and was post to look at it today well they called me at 11 pm that night saying oh the oil is full well i went up there this morning and checked oil now some how it over by 2 quarts but a siezed bearing or rod wont break with oil only if it was dry am i wont or right

THATS BS
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

This is the very reason I change my own oil. If a car gets towed back to the shop with a blown up/seized motor due to lack of oil, its very common for the shop to fill it with oil and claim that its not their fault. If you must have someone else change your oil, insist that you check the oil yourself before it leaves the service bay.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

This is a tough one, it's a you said they said kind of thing. Do you want to spend the time and money taking them to court? Or just get it fixed and be done with it? It's a tough one. I would go to the top of the chain of command at Merchant Tire and explain what happened, show the invoice and see if they will make it right. If they do plan on making it right, do NOT let them do the work, have another shop of YOUR choice do it. It may not be a bad idea to have a few quotes at the ready when you talk the guy at Merchant.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Yeah maybe dish a couple dollars to have an attorney come with you talk to them about them making it right!have them pay to do it at a dealership or a shop maybe a buddys buisness help your friend make a dollar lol
Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Year: 1992

They don't have any sort of safety checks in place to prevent this?I know we have several checks we have to do/verify we've done with managers before the vehicle leaves the shop.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee

I had a similar issue with Monroe Muffler shop and my Kia a few years ago. They put the oil in but cross threaded the drain plug, so it all drained out on the way home.

Luckily for my it was winter and I saw all the drops in the driveway behind me because of the snow. If I have to pay someone to change it I do a full once over before even sitting in it now.

Sorry that you got boned man, hopefully if you can get a manager they'll set things straight.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM

but am i right or wrong it wont seize a bearing or blow a rob if there was oil in it only way it if there was none i got 3 people seen it before it left , and thanks again for all the help i had my 2 month old with me or i would have. but they told me today there calling the insurance company to look at it
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM

since it was ran without oil, there is still most likely some severe internal engine damage, regardless of the fact that there is oil in it now. I wouldnt start it again
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by dnuccio
since it was ran without oil, there is still most likely some severe internal engine damage, regardless of the fact that there is oil in it now. I wouldnt start it again
Sue!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM

and there is almost 100% chance the shop filled it up with oil to try and cover their f**k up
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM

i know they did now they waiting on the insurance to come look at it they wont let me move it so god knows what else they done to it , and today at there shop to prove it has oil pressure i started it and got 60 psi so they cant say oil pump when out to make it do that
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Not all shops are out to get you. We have alot of cars (as in one out of 50) that have no oil on dipsitck. Some cars that Iknow take 4 quarts will only have one quart come out.

Not saying they didtnt screw up, but the have one person fill the oil and check, and a second person check and sign off.

There is the chance that the PO put 15 40 in it to stop knocking. Merchants might of put 5 30 in it cause thats what it calls for.

The one thing that pi##s me off in this industry is a good working employee, (or Two because of double sign offs) May get fired cause someone wants a free engine.

Not tring to be a D##k, Just saying make sure its their fault. No oil on the dipstick may be 2 quarts low. Prob not enough to do damage, unless the damage was already there.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM

they did the oil changes for the PO that why i drove 30 min to take it there bec they worked on it before. but if it was under by 2 how is it over by 2 now
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

if it was my fault i wouldnt ***** i can replace a engine easy at fortbragg

Quick Reply: merchant tire put no oil in zj now seized bearing or bad rod