Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lost and ready to cry

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Lost and ready to cry

My 2000 jeep cherokee is having problems. If you crank it and it takes 10min because it keeps cutting off. Then you have to hold your feet on the gas to keep it running and all the while it is back firing and trying to shut down it shudders and it skips. You have to get the motor warm it seems before it will work.it has to be half way on the temp gauge or it will not stay crunk and it might still shut down. the motor used to idle funny and now this. Once it crank it might shut down at the first stop sign or red light. after that,it sounds like the motor not running at full power. So you go to work come back out 4hours later and it is hard to crank but will not back fire (it sort of lunges when you finally drive it) starts about the 3rd try. I do not have another vehicle and i want it fixed tried replacing crankshaft censor and the cam shaft censor. those were the reading when i took it to the shop and it rode good about 3 days and oh yeah if i cut the ac on it starts jumping and will cut off the whole carSorry this is so long I Am lOST, ILOVE MY JEEP. People at shop take advantage of women and thousands of dollars later no car and a 2 new bills. one for the shop and the other for a car you do not want.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Welcome to the forum!

It could be many things but it is best to try the free things first. First try resetting the ECM.

1. With engine off, open the hood
  2. disconnect the negative terminal on the battery
  3. wait 10 minutes or so
  4. reconnect battery

After all that attempt to start the engine. If it does the same thing then we can troubleshoot further.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM

did someone worked on timing recently? Cross spark plug wire?.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Lost and ready to cry

No one has worked on it recently. It was only cutting off when you cut on the air conditioner now it cuts off with the defrost also. And when I tried disconnecting the battery it did not do any good. The check engine light went out for a little while then I felt the jeep jerk and it was on again.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Engine: 4.0

Get the codes read, and I would check your coil pack, And if you get the codes read and bring back the print out someone may be able to help you Its kinda hard to help when someone says help my xj runs badly what wrong
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

I'd make sure the spark plugs & wires are all in proper working order, replace the O2 sensors, & give you throtle body a good cleaning!

Then clear the codes & if the CEL comes on again have it scanned & go from there...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

Might also wanna check the fuel rail presure!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Year: '98

the backfiring part sounds like timing issues and the part about it cutting off when the a/c or defrost is on sounds like the alternator or battery is going.i'd have a load test put on the alt and battery.the battery must maintain the right voltage because the sensors need the proper voltage to send the right signals to the computer.if not the computer will receive false readings from the sensors therefore causing problems.you can get a free load test at most any parts stores.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Its A 2000 NO PLUG WIRES.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Sounds like the ECM/Battery/Alt, I just had a smog issue with the ECM because I unhooked the battery. The solution, hooked back up the battery, drove it on the freeway for 50 miles without stopping really. That might fully reset it. Worked for me.

If that doesn't work, I would check your cap/ spark plugs / wires for odd wear. You might be arcing badly in there. Possible belt slipping causing timing problems. Also maybe your air intake filter is completely clogged. These are a few things I would check first since they are easy to see if something is going wrong just by looking.

Since it is doing it on the AC stuff i would test the battery/Alt as well as stated above ^, Might be your pump as well, turning on the AC engages the pump to the serpentine belt.

to simplify

1. get your battery/ALT tested, some people put smaller batteries in just because they are cheaper, bad move (kragen will test it)
2. check your air filter, oil, fluids etc. easy stuff to look at.
3. check wear on serpentine belt
4. check wear on spark plugs
5. try running it for 50 miles, not just idling but actually driving it after disconnecting the battery to reset the ECM (don't run it like this if you fear it will explode =) ).

This is what i would do, then take it into a shop if it doesn't work. They can get computer codes by hooking it up and running a test. Tells you whats wrong.

Last edited by mikejeep; 08-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.