Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Looking to buy a Grand Cherokee

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking to buy a Grand Cherokee

It's an '04 Limited with the 4.7 V8,auto and Quadra-Trac with 105K miles and in excellent shape. What are the common problem areas on these Jeeps I should be on the lookout for? I have a '93 Cherokee Sport with 4.0 HO which has been pretty reliable since I bought it back in '03 with 123K miles (now has 265K and still running strong) and I asked this same question then, which made ownership easier in my opinion. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

We bought an '04 WJ SE with the 4.7 L V8 and Quatrac-TracII AWD system new in the fall of '03. It now has over 107,000 miles on it. We've only had to take it in a few times for warranty work. That included having a leaking rear main fixed, having the transmission control module reflashed twice because of shifting issues, and new rear wheel bearings. It was taken in twice for recalls. First was the front brakes, and second was the heated seats. Other than that it has been a great truck giving us no trouble at all. It still doesn't use any oil between the 3,000 mile oil changes, and the engine still runs as strong and quiet as it did when new.
Some owners have issues with the electric cooling fan relay under the headlight, but we have the heavy duty cooling and tow package, so don't have an electric fan, just a clutch fan. Others have stated problems with the electrical system for the power windows and doors. We've never had those issues.
We drive it regularly on trips between Tenn. and Mich, and if faced with the choice, wouldn't hesitate buying it again.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ol"blue
We bought an '04 WJ SE with the 4.7 L V8 and Quatrac-TracII AWD system new in the fall of '03. It now has over 107,000 miles on it. We've only had to take it in a few times for warranty work. That included having a leaking rear main fixed, having the transmission control module reflashed twice because of shifting issues, and new rear wheel bearings. It was taken in twice for recalls. First was the front brakes, and second was the heated seats. Other than that it has been a great truck giving us no trouble at all. It still doesn't use any oil between the 3,000 mile oil changes, and the engine still runs as strong and quiet as it did when new.
Some owners have issues with the electric cooling fan relay under the headlight, but we have the heavy duty cooling and tow package, so don't have an electric fan, just a clutch fan. Others have stated problems with the electrical system for the power windows and doors. We've never had those issues.
We drive it regularly on trips between Tenn. and Mich, and if faced with the choice, wouldn't hesitate buying it again.
I am right there with you. My (wife's) 04 was also purchased new in the fall of 03
It now has 115K on the speedo. Only problem was the electric window assembly broke on the passenger side ( at 91K). replace it with one from NAPA the replacements are all steel no the OEM plastic.

The 4.7 has a lot of power and good gas milage since we did the "cat-back"

Wife wants a new car. I am thinking about keeping the 04 and trading in my 93.

Last edited by Beans; 12-23-2011 at 08:21 PM.