Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

And the list of problems continue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: v8 5.9L
Default And the list of problems continue

Hi there i own a 98 5.9 stock, searched for a few things but nothing conclusive, and im having more troubles with it here is the list ill apreciatte some help

1 the truck rolls from side to side with a few bumps, like a boat but not excesivelly, is it normal? i dont have excessive front diving and it feels firm with in up and down movements, what do you guys think, control arms bushings? the sway bar links are almost out, think this coul be the problem, i use tires at 30 psi (245 70 r16)or should i reconsider the shocks?

2 i have a rattling coming from the middle to the front, only with irregular bumps, not in up and down movements, its like having something metal loose, i banged all the lower parts with a rubber mallet, and nothing unussual nothing loose

3 the passenger front tire grabs in slow sharp turns to the left, but only this tire, i have them ballanced and they are a little worn at the edges, what do you think bad vc in transfer or bad cv joint? ther is no play while moving the wheel

4 VIC displays coolant sensor bad, but all seems fine, and also rear lamp failiure, checked all the bulbs all fine.

5 a little play in steering, i changed a tie rod all of the rest are ok including the sway bar and track bar, made alignment check, all fine, but moves to the left when releasing the wheel, tomorrow ill take it to the shop again

6 when almost stoping there is a sligth thump in the passenger side (bad control arms bushings???)

anyway this is all i can remenber rigth now, ill aprecciate your help, cuz im stressing my self with all of this issues, i just bougth it a mont ago and rebuilt the tranny, chaged a tie rod, serpentine belt, air filter, alingment, front tires ballanced, steering shock, new radiator cap, front drive shaft. i know i have to invest in used cars but........ it suposed to be a nice proyect ald the money i had was for suspension and tires, but all went in this fixes, or should i sell it, i payed $5k with 100k miles on it, and interiors and xteriors in really good shape ill apreciatte all the help thanks alot.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Here are my opinions:
1. Replace those sway bar bushings.
2. No idea.
3. T-case would be both front tires. Check right side hub/wheel bearing.
4. Check License plate lamp bulbs and Hi-mount brake light bulbs.
5. Nature of the beast I think for the ZJ's to have some play. They're more truck-like than the WJ steering-wise.
6. See #3 above.
These are just my opinions of course.
I payed $6,000 for my '97 a couple years ago. Pics are in my album.
Any pics of yours?

Last edited by ol"blue; 09-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Default thanks

i left it in the shop for alignment re check will post the results, an for the photos, ill download them today, thanks for the reply any more thougths??
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

If the sway bar bushings are bad that could be the rattling you refer to in #2. It could also be the upper rubber bushings on the front shocks. JMO

Last edited by ol"blue; 09-19-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Default bushings...

Blue, should i replace only the sway bar bushings? or also the sway bar links? one control arm bushing is almost out, could also be another problem? i took it to the shop and the freaking mechanic didnnt do anything, told me i had to leave the truck all day, and test it and$$$$ try to find the failure, but anyway, presumingly the alignment is fine, but the steering wheel is not straigth and when i let go the truck it tracks left, how can i correct that without messing the alignment???
anyone knows if i can replace the bushings of the track bar? or i need to replace it? the only trouble is i live in mexico, and is har to find aftermarket bushings like daystar or something, xj pieces are easy to find
has anyone made your own bushings?
my gc moves from left to rigth i mean sometimes is hard to keep it straigth but not that hard in highway, only when hitting bumps i dont have deathwoble.
again thanks for the comments
Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

You might try looking here for parts.>>->http://www.quadratec.com/categories/...ts_suspension/
Or here.>>-> http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/c...wMfokgGN4TFKxj
If it pulls to one side and your steering wheel isn't centered you need to have the alignment checked. If it tracks fairly straight on the highway it might be that the caster is off. If the camber is off it's not adjustable but you can get adjustable ball-joints.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

3. rear lamp failure linky>https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/zj-...ght-fix-24307/
Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Angry another problem

heres an update:
replaced the control arm bushings, they were really bad, the wiggle in the front is a balljoint, i got it need to instal it, also im going to replace a cv boot in that same wheel, already broken

but, i have a new problem, 15 day ago replaced the rear brake pads, they where not ribbed so i only removed the gaze and that was it. today i drove like 80 miles to my home town, i stoped in a gas station and noticed a wiggle tought it was the ball joint that was saiyng good bye, but when i got home when i was takin it to the shop with my brother in law noticed a wiggle in the rear wheels not in the front, both wheels makes the movement like a bad ball joint or with a lot of play, the mechanic said the pad are deffective and needs replacing, its noticeable only in turns not straigth, what do you think bad diff? rotors needs anything else to do? the 5.9 has a posi lock could this be it? could it be engaged? need help im so desperate that i want to throw away the freakin truck, i have a month with it and has been apeared more troubles than an 4th world country

Last edited by MIKEZJ98; 09-26-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ortography
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That doesn't sound like brake pads to me, more like bushings worn out in the rear susp.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Did this truck sit long before you bought it?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

2 i have a rattling coming from the middle to the front, only with irregular bumps, not in up and down movements, its like having something metal loose, i banged all the lower parts with a rubber mallet, and nothing unussual nothing loose
I have the same type of noise on my XJ I have replaced nearly everything in my steering and suspension except the upper control arms. I though it was my ball joints but I replaced them today and it still there. I can feel a slight thump in the floor near the pedals when it happens....So I;m thinking it might be the upper arms they look pretty bad but I cant detect movement, so I'm gonna replace the see what happens.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Blue, i dont know how long it was sit, maybe a month o more, the car lot owner told me he used a few times, but im not shure, in another post had something simmilar regarding the parking brake line, i adjusted the parking brake line, the haynes said 6 mmm only, i adjusted like 4 mm. parking brake issue?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

You said you put rear brake pads on. It has only 30 PSI air in the tires, a posi rear end, and maybe the alloy wheels? If those wheels weren't torqued down correctly after the brake job, they might tend to wobble a bit, and the low air pressure and the posi rear could combine to make this wobble seem more pronounced on turns. JMO
Old 09-26-2009, 11:46 PM

i checked the lug nuts today, and i do have the OEM wheels, but wobbles alot thats what worries me, it (the truck) didnt do that in the morning.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 AM

Default UPDATE!!!

the wobbling in the rear diff only appears when the GC is driven for a while, only whe hot, any thougths?? diff fluids??

Quick Reply: And the list of problems continue