Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lift and Winch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Lift and Winch

You guys probably have been asked this set of questions many of times... But I am really looking into this. And I want your thoughts and opinions, whether you've done it yourself or from what you've found out yourself.

So I am looking for a 3inch lift on my ZJ. First I am getting this lift not for bigger tires, but to give my jeep a lot more room to flex. Because i frequently "Stuff" my tires. I have been looking at a few kits but it seems like the big choice is do i need new control arms. Because that can change the price 400-600$. Now I would like to do this properly. and not skip a step or omit a part.

Anyways I would like a guide...Because odds are i will end up buying what you guys tell me is the "Shiz" .

Also i am looking at a Winch. I have found this one: http://www.detoursusa.com/zjbackbone.php#

But the big reason why I am looking into it is because I don't want to have to remove the front bumper. I kinda want it to stay on. Though I don't mind cutting into it. But do you all have a recommendation. I would like it to be mounted to the frame much rather then to a front hitch.

Anyways thanks!!!

Last edited by catsartcox; 11-30-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If your only looking for a little lift the rear you can get away with a set of springs spacers. up front I'd run a set of Rustys HD coils if your going to be putting a winch on there, then get new shocks that be right around $400 depending on your shock choice and such.

for the front mount the Detours system is nice and you have to remove the bumper to install it but keeps it after your done. I'd go that route if I were doing mine over again.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7

I am not seeing HD coils for the ZJ. Also It won't have the winch on there when i lift it....I may end up waiting a few months to buy that.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

If I were to do my lift over I would do the front to rear lift. You take your front coils and stick in the rear to lift the rear 3-3.5". Then buy a set of 3.5" lift front coils.

Here is a kit with almost everything you would need. I recommend this kit over the other 3.5" kit they sell because of the adjustable trac bar for the front.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

That is a cool winch mount. First time I've seen it.