Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Exclamation Leakage

My Jeep is leaking underneath hood. I also noticed there was oil on one of the sides of my air filter. Any idea what is leaking? I'll take a look, but tomorrow, no sun right now. No flashlight.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're going to have to open the hood and see whats leaking, could be the valve cover gasket. The oil on the air filter is from the crankcase vent and is not unusual.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You're going to have to open the hood and see whats leaking, could be the valve cover gasket. The oil on the air filter is from the crankcase vent and is not unusual.
I like your shark mobile. What do women think about it?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That's just a random picture I found on the webs, I actually drive a dolphin mobile.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedback
That's just a random picture I found on the webs, I actually drive a dolphin mobile.
See, thats the problem with the internet. I first assumed you would be a expert on shark mobiles, now I have learned you drive one of the less inferior dolphin mobile.

To the OP, where are the oil leaks, you might have to clean off the engine and watch for leaks afterward. A few problem areas are, valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter o-rings, and oil sender. Most other leaks seem to be the rear main or oil pan gasket, if oil pan gasket is leaking I would do the rear main at the same time.

The oil on the air filter comes from the tube that runs into the air filter box from the valve cover. It is the crankcase vent and as the engine ages and piston rings wear, you will develop "blow-by" gasses. These gasses carry oil/vapor through the breather hose into the air filter box.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by jnicewan
See, thats the problem with the internet. I first assumed you would be a expert on shark mobiles, now I have learned you drive one of the less inferior dolphin mobile.

To the OP, where are the oil leaks, you might have to clean off the engine and watch for leaks afterward. A few problem areas are, valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter o-rings, and oil sender. Most other leaks seem to be the rear main or oil pan gasket, if oil pan gasket is leaking I would do the rear main at the same time.

The oil on the air filter comes from the tube that runs into the air filter box from the valve cover. It is the crankcase vent and as the engine ages and piston rings wear, you will develop "blow-by" gasses. These gasses carry oil/vapor through the breather hose into the air filter box.
I will have to do a thorough inspection first thing tomorrow underneath the hood then, as you insinuate. Still learning my way around from the basics.

The oil comes from the air filter tube? Hm, interesting! Is this a bad thing?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Its not a real bad thing, but it is a good indication of an engine thats getting a little tired. One thing to look at is the other tube that is further back on the valve cover. Thats the PCV tube and it goes from the valve cover to the intake. If you unplugged it from the valve cover with the engine running it should have vacuum.

Most engines will have more blow-by when operating at higher loads and/or higher RPM, like highway driving. Some people modify that tube into a catch can or run it down underneath the vehicle ( non emmisions compliant though ) A mod like this would at least save you from ruining air filters.