Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

just bought a 96 grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default just bought a 96 grand cherokee

hey everyone, i just bought a 96 grand cherokee, thought this would be a nice forum for information... its a 6 cylinder (which i preferred), absolutely no rust anywhere on it, low mileage, runs and drives great, and paint is in beautiful condition too

it has a few minor problems that wont be hard, or expensive to fix

the driver side rear passenger door is stuck.. but only sticks in the winter.. the door has rarely ever been used in the past... so im going to let some WD40 soak in which should free it up

the rear hatches latch is broken, so it can only be opened from the inside.. so either the linkage is broke, or the lock is stuck, shouldnt be too difficult to work out, but id love to hear any advice anyone may have on this topic

and the last issue.. it only came with one ignition key which doesnt seem to operate the door locks... so currently the only way to unlock the doors from outside of the vehicle is with the keychain remote... i would like one key to be able to start the ignition as well as open all locks if this is at all possible?, if not, i would atleast like all doors and the rear hatch to open with a single key... dont want to go get a set of door locks and a seperate hatch lock and need three keys for this thing.. so i was wondering what my options are.. and i am willing to swap out the cylinders on the doors and hatch
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Congrats on the new rig. I've been looking for one for over a month.

Post up some pics when you can.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 AM

well, i got lucky on this one.. knew the guy and he needed to clear out some of his vehicles in his collection as it was getting too expensive to insure them all, so i got this gorgeous grand cherokee for $900

still not sure what i should do about the lock issue though
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Nice!!! I'll give you $950.

I would do a search, I'm sure it's come up before.

Or if you can control it w/the FOB, then that is ok too. Just buy a spare on ebay or something.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 AM

FOB?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

my bad, thought you said it came w/a stock remote to open doors. Otherwise known as the FOB.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 AM

yeah, it comes with the remote.. but is there any way i can get a duplicate? and i dont want to rely on electronics for opening the doors..its too bad the ignition key wont work
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Year: 2001

Any Jeep that uses a radio frequency to send the signal requires a DRB scan tool to program the remotes. The other option came out in 93 and continued to 95, and that used IR instead. IR's can be programmed by the user, but not the RKE type(radio frequency). Your best bet is to try to convince your dealer that your remote dumped the program when you changed the batteries and see if they will reprogram for free. I think the going rate for programming is anywhere from $30-$50. Make sure to take all of your remotes when you go down there. They have to program them at the same time.

You should be able to find a spare remote on ebay for around 30 bucks too used

you said you dont want to rely just on electronics, i agree. consider having the dealer cut you a door key via VIN number while youre down there too. probably another 10 bucks but you will be able to open the door with just a key as a last resort
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

www.keylessride.com will have a remote for you.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM

uuh, i would rather just have a physical key.. no batteries.. i thought the ignition key was supposed to work but apparently it doesnt, so ill either have to get an extra set of locks, or have additional keys made for the doors
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

in fact.. i think anything thats unneccessarily made electronic is pretty stupid.. electronic door locks? seriously?.. and the relatively high chance a remote battery dies, the remote doesnt work, the car doesnt receive the signal... geeze, just get a stinkin key.. theyve worked for thousands of years, theyll work for thousands more... im not THAT lazy that i cant turn a physical key... i just dont have the key to turn
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM

hey.. i actually fixed my rear driver side door... the lock was jammed in the locked position.. managed to take off the inside door panel with the door still closed and got to the mechanism from inside to manually unlock it, soaked it in WD-40 and its operating freely now.. reinstalled the door skin and its working good as new.. electronic remote still locks and unlocks just fine... im probably going to drill out the rusted body panel screws so i can access and reinstall the seat belts tomorrow