Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

JGC 5.2 16" Tire selecton help!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 liter V8
Default JGC 5.2 16" Tire selecton help!!!

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the JGC but I do love me some off roading.
My last off roader was a 1978 Brinco with a 8 inch lift, full headers, true dual flowmasters, 405 V8, holley carb. And daily driven. It was a monster.

Now it's time for something fun and a bit more civilized.

I just picked up my Jeep GC 5.2 V8 and it's got a Pro-comp lift kit installed. AS best I can tell from research it's a 3 inch lift in the front and 2.5 in the rear.
It needs new tires, the current size is 245/75/16. The wheels are some Eagle alloys with bead locks.

I want to run a tire that isn't going to restrict my turning if that's at all possible. I just didn't want the tires to hit on the inners when turning full lock but I'll deal with then when and if I have to.
I need something that isn't too loud on the road but I don't mind a little noise. I'm obviously going to be putting more highway miles on it than anything but I want to be able to trek around on the beaches when I take the boat to the water and still climb over some small rocks and not worry about shallow mud or loose dirt.

I really like the BFG line of tires. But I'm not sure what size to get. Nothing to big as my gas mileage already sucks on this thing but something aggressive looking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Model: Cherokee

I was also in the market for new rubber. I m running a 00 grand w/ Rustys 4.5 lift. I was going to buy the bfg at's until i found these Kumho road venture MT's for cheap. I purchased the 285-75-16's. Super sweet looking tire if you want aggresive looks, and the reviews on them looked good. So i bought them and should be here next week. Check em out.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 liter V8

Originally Posted by clpow1976
I was also in the market for new rubber. I m running a 00 grand w/ Rustys 4.5 lift. I was going to buy the bfg at's until i found these Kumho road venture MT's for cheap. I purchased the 285-75-16's. Super sweet looking tire if you want aggresive looks, and the reviews on them looked good. So i bought them and should be here next week. Check em out.

Those look pretty decent. I won't be buying tires for a couple of weeks. I'm not daily driving this thing yet and it needs a little TLC so I figure it'll be about a month before it hits the road. And it's got a couple thousand miles of street driving letf on the current tires.

After you get those tires mounted let's hear about them. Do you think they'll be noisy on the road? I don't mind a little noise, just not a whole lot.
They've got a nice looking tread on them to.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Model: Cherokee

I don't think they will be too loud, i'm used to driving a ranger w/ 9" of lift and 33" baja claws (bias ply) and that was loud! So i think i can deal w/ these.