Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep will not start

I have a 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee Larado Limited, and can't get it to start. I've replaced the starter already and had alt and battery checked. It started acting up a month ago with it not starting when I turned the key right away, and progressively has gotten worse, till now it will not start at all. Did some research on internet and found that the switch could have broke. I need to know how to replace the switch.

Last edited by C_Peddicord; 06-16-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yellow C_ and welcome! If you explain a bit better what it's doing someone may be able to help. Is it cranking but not firing? Got a "click", How about dash lights n stuff.....
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

First and foremost are the battery connections tight and not corroded? Perhaps clean them up a bit with a wire brush just to be sure.

Did you replace the starter because you had evidence it was bad or did you fire the parts canon?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Yellow C_ and welcome! If you explain a bit better what it's doing someone may be able to help. Is it cranking but not firing? Got a "click", How about dash lights n stuff.....
I have dash lights and consale light, when I turn key to start. there is nothing, no click, nothing. Started about a month ago before I replaced starter. And it progressivly go worse. At first it would start after a few turns of the key, then it started really going down hill from there, till now when I turn key to start, there is nothing.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
First and foremost are the battery connections tight and not corroded? Perhaps clean them up a bit with a wire brush just to be sure.

Did you replace the starter because you had evidence it was bad or did you fire the parts canon?
Yes battery connections are tight, and yes they are clean, I had alternator and battery checked after replacing the starter.

I replaced the starter because thats what I thought it was, not knowing the ignition switch could go bad. But when it stopped starting at all, I did some research and found out about the switch going bad. I just need to find out how to replace the switch, Not the key-locking cyliniod but the switch.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Try putting it in Neutral and hit the key.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Try putting it in Neutral and hit the key.
Did, and nothing.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Do you have a multi meter?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Much like a flywheel the sector shaft is keyed onto the actuator rack and when you turn the key this in turn presses the ignition switch rod down to engage the starter. If the teeth get worn or broke off it won't engage the ignition switch . All you have to do is pull the ignition cylinder and shine a light in and inspect the teeth on the rack.
Can also be the ignition actuator rack and rod . They're tons of fun .

Last edited by GreaseMonkey17; 06-17-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Do you have a multi meter?
No.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17

Can also be the ignition actuator rack and rod . They're tons of fun .
How would I go about pulling that out. Thats what I need to know. Because the research I have done for this project points to the switch. I can see the switch but there is a star screw with a tiny post in the middle that I can't get out. And from my research the connecting rod that is part of the actuator could be broken. If it is I need to remove and replace. I have the panels off already.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 PM

This is what I'm looking at right now.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by C_Peddicord
No.
I would go get one. It will help you not fire the parts cannon so much. There is a slim possibility that you have a bad starter/starter solenoid (I know you just replaced it). If the replacement was a remanufactuered starter, they are know to crap out on you (ask forum member, nujeepguy).

You would feel like a real dingus if you ripped your steering column apart for nothing. A few simple voltages checks at the starter will tell you this. Start with simple, move to complex. At this point in time, it could also be a bad wire.

We must use evidence, probability, and logic when troubleshooting.

So I guess you are at a bit of crossroads here. Take the red pill and buy a DMM or take the blue pill and fire the parts cannon. Either way, good luck. Hope you get you rig running.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 PM

I would go get one. It will help you not fire the parts cannon so much. There is a slim possibility that you have a bad starter/starter solenoid (I know you just replaced it). If the replacement was a remanufactuered starter, they are know to crap out on you (ask forum member, nujeepguy).

You would feel like a real dingus if you ripped your steering column apart for nothing. A few simple voltages checks at the starter will tell you this. Start with simple, move to complex. At this point in time, it could also be a bad wire.

We must use evidence, probability, and logic when troubleshooting.

So I guess you are at a bit of crossroads here. Take the red pill and buy a DMM or take the blue pill and fire the parts cannon. Either way, good luck. Hope you get you rig running.
I can check with a simple light test right?? I have one of those testers you hook up to a ground and touch the tip to a point. That should work correct?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by C_Peddicord
I can check with a simple light test right?? I have one of those testers you hook up to a ground and touch the tip to a point. That should work correct?
Yep, that works too. It's a little rougher than a DMM but it's fine to the job.

Quick Reply: Jeep will not start