Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep stalls after complete stop randomly

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6/ 4.0 L
Default Jeep stalls after complete stop randomly

Hi,

I drive a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 250,000 miles. It runs fine but it seems to stall after i come to a complete stop sometimes (with the engine already warm). It also seems to cutoff during colder weather when i crank it up first thing in the morning. It may idle for 5 minutes and then stall.

I took it to Autozone and got the egr code checked and it said something about "ignition coil 1". What does the 1 mean?

Also, if it's a bad coil i dont understand why it stalls in colder weather also. My engine coolant is new and full, but with a minor leak. The engine temp stays right under normal.

What's your advise? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I have a '97 I bought at the end of April. I did basic tune-up and it ran fine for several months, then started occasionally dropping off idle speed when I came to a stop. It would seem like it was about to die, then catch and rev back up. Also, a lot of times, the idle wasn't steady. It would kind of stumble, not as bad as the times when I came to a stop and it almost died, but it obviously struggled for a fraction of a second. It would do that a couple of times in a minute, resulting in a fluctuating idle.

I read many threads on here and it seems there are several culprits that can cause the stalling behavior:
- failing wiring connections in the PCM (powertrain control module, aka "computer")
- loose wiring connections at various sensors or wiring harness connections which cause a momentary loss of electrical signal
- bad battery cable connections resulting in low electrical power that might possibly drop too low after hitting a bump
- low fuel pressure due to the pump going bad, the fuel filter/strainer becoming blocked, the fuel pressure regulator going bad
- fuel injectors going bad or being dirty/clogged
- the Idle Control Valve (or something which the name escapes me) is too dirty to work properly

and there are more that I can't think of right now.

Mine developed a bad stall / shut off / stumble / back fire / die problem, but only occasionally. Purely by luck I noticed that the wiring connection to the Crankshaft Position Sensor had exposed wires going into the connector and that it was twisted so that the wires could touch. The wires' insulation had possibly shrunk due to age or heat or an oil leak, or possibly it had always been that way and just happened to shake enough that the wires finally touched (I drive on some rough roads). I put electrical tape around each wire and the problem hasn't happened since.

Now the idle is a lot more steady, though I have gotten the "stall when you stop" issue a couple of times. I might have a fuel pressure problem. I checked it at O'Reilly's last week and it swung wildly between 40 & 49. I'm going to go to a different parts store and use theirs to see what it does with a different gauge.

Also, before I found the Crankshaft Position Sensor wiring thing, I tried the test where you wiggle the connections going into the PCM and when I wiggled the one closest to the engine, it stuttered severely and nearly died. I did it again and got the same thing. So apparently I have at least a slight issue there.

Mine also has replacement battery cable ends and a couple of times it wouldn't start, after having been running just a few minutes before, and I wire-brushed them to shiny metal and it started. (Note: I've seen reading on here that sometimes if the computer has shut it off for some reason, you can disconnect the battery for >30 seconds and it will reset and usually restart. This might be what is happening and I just think it is the corroded connection causing the problem.)

Last edited by Red River T; 10-08-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Model: Cherokee

have a 97 jeep grand Cherokee she has been running great of course we have replaced many parts the last year she just started dying when we start her she shut down then she died at the end of the drive way never done this before then she went about 4 miles made a weird noise and shut down we headed home my husband cleaned the cables and she seemed fine for the last couple days but tonight she died once and started kind of cutting out but she did stay running replaced spark plugs about 2 weeks ago but not the wires? husband is a mechanic
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: v8

Jeeps are sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Remove both of your battery connections and clean both the battery and cable terminals.

This my fix your problem. If it doesn't, all you have spent is some time.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 PM

what would cause there to be no flow in my transmission I have unhooked my hoses and there is no fluid there I tried flushing it thru the radiator but still can not get any flow
Old 12-21-2014, 12:53 PM

help please