Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep fund low, D35 giving me trouble, help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Jeep fund low, D35 giving me trouble, help?

Hey guys,

So I have read all the posts I can find (hundreds) on swapping options for the D35 in the rear of my ZJ but nothing really answers my burning question...So I thought I would try one more.

I have a 97 ZJ 4.0 I6 with the GREAT AND WONDERFUL D35 in rear.. The Jeep has almost 300k on the body and rear end now.. It began making a whirling noise two days ago at about 40mph.. I changed the fluid and there was not enough silver metal for me to be worried right now, but I know the tell tale signs .. I think it is about to go.

The sad part is I just dropped 3500 on lift, tires, etc last week and do not have much money left in the Jeep fund right now.

I also CANNOT weld, nor have the equipment (I know )

Is there anything better I can do for myself than throwing in another D35 from the yard until I can afford to upgrade? Any D44 that would go in WITHOUT any Fab work like out of a V8 ZJ of the same year?

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate any response.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The V8 ZJs had a D44a from 96 on. It would a bolt in swap, but it is not like a regular D44 and it's not much stronger than the Turdy five. My rear diff is making noise too. I'm just gonna run it until it finally dies. Like yours, mine had no signs of metal or any weirdness, just annoying noise. Turning up the radio seems to help.

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-29-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The V8 ZJs had a D44a from 96 on. It would a bolt in swap, but it is not like a regular D44 and it's not much stronger than the Trudy five. My rear diff is making noise too. I'm just gonna run it until it finally dies. Like yours, mine had no signs of metal or any weirdness, just annoying noise. Turning up the radio seems to help.
AHHH!! I know right? My stereo has become a better and better friend. Im kickin myself now for selling my prior XJ with all crap I need for this.. I have read alot about the D44a as well but honestly I am not a driveline guy.. I worked on muscle cars in my youth and my last XJ was only my second build on Jeeps (it had a D44 already in it from a prior owner swap)

I had a 04 TJ that I bought new and blew the D35 out of after 4 years running 33's on light wheeling.. 1200$+ in ATL just for the rebuild..

For my situation would you recommend going with the D44a if I can find one? Or spending 100$ on a 35 I can throw in for now? It will be running 33's next week after all the IRO installs (build thread to come) so I am guessing it may give after that..
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't know much about the D44a other than it has an aluminum center housing and nothing from a D44 is interchangeable between the two. The Turdy Five has more aftermarket availability, but it's like putting lip stick on a pig.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Yeah, thats about what I got out of my research as well.. I guess it is yard 35 for now if it comes to it.. BTW you are only about 4 hours north of me, do you know any jeep clubs in the area or guys that like to meet up for trail running in the Stockton/Sac area?? I know 4 hours seems like a little online but the drive blows
Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know of any. Where are you at?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

The 44a is a very slight upgrade from the 35 but unlike the 35 it will hold 33s if you don't beat on it too much. There is the uber rare D44 super that came in 98 ZJs with the 5.9 V8 and only the Limited models. Unlike the 44a it doesn't have an aluminum center and no c-clips. Still not quite a D44 but as close as you'll get that's a bolt in and it'll hold 35s easy. I'd get the matching front too if you get a 44a since they came with 3.73s and most 4Ls came with 3.55s.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
The 44a is a very slight upgrade from the 35 but unlike the 35 it will hold 33s if you don't beat on it too much. There is the uber rare D44 super that came in 98 ZJs with the 5.9 V8 and only the Limited models. Unlike the 44a it doesn't have an aluminum center and no c-clips. Still not quite a D44 but as close as you'll get that's a bolt in and it'll hold 35s easy. I'd get the matching front too if you get a 44a since they came with 3.73s and most 4Ls came with 3.55s.
Yeah thats what I was looking for (front and rear) I just hate that this came so early as I was planning on the axle swaps about 6 months from now.. That is how it works though!! This Jeep is a necessary vehicle for only 1 day week as a DD right now so I have a little to play with..

I am not planning on any hard whhelin in this beast for the next few years.. I only live about 2 hours from the Rubicon Trail so I may attempt that down the road but really this is a camping/weekend trail running Jeep..

What is your advice xjmarc?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM

I don't know of any. Where are you at?
I just moved to Farmington CA from the Bay.. About two hours from Tahoe, same to Yosemite
Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

I grew up in Stockton, lived in Modesto for a while, worked in Castro Valley for a couple years. Loving where I'm at now.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Nice man, moved out here for my military contracting gig but ended up going back to school full time now at DeVry in Fremont to FINALLY try and finish my degree.. Two hour commute but only one day a week so not bad.. I have been dying to find some people to have a good weekend, do some wheelin and camping and have a few beers but the only people I know are my contracted buddies who are ALWAYS gone.. No idea where to start out here! Back in IL there is no such thing as driving on dirt roads.. legally..
Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Mark your calendar for the Friday after thanksgiving and join me and my buddies for the third annual High Lakes run/ Christmas tree hunt/ and shoot stuff fun day. We go up to the High Lakes above Paradise and have a lot of fun. I do it in a stock ZJ with no problems. We start out at the Bambi Inn for cheeseburgers and bloody marries and the go wheelin all day. Search YouTube for High Lakes wheeling and you will get an idea of what the trails are like. What is your degree in?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 PM

That sounds AMAZING but sooo far off!!! Hahaa.. Degree is in Homeland Security/Emergency and disaster management..

PM me of any other weekend journeys you may do in the area, I really want to just have some fun in the Jeep, doesn't have to be anything crazy (like I said, pretty sure blowin my D35 soon)
Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mwilliams0311
That sounds AMAZING but sooo far off!!! Hahaa.. Degree is in Homeland Security/Emergency and disaster management.. PM me of any other weekend journeys you may do in the area, I really want to just have some fun in the Jeep, doesn't have to be anything crazy (like I said, pretty sure blowin my D35 soon)
My sister just got a new Wrangler Rubicon, so she is always looking for an excuse to go wheeling. There is an OHV park about a mile from me, but it is kind of boring. There are also a lot of wild life sanctuaries really close to me with a ton of trails and river rock. Check out www.ca.jobs.gov if you're looking for a nice State job. I work for a State agency and love it. They're always hiring safety people.

Sorry, the link is not working.

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-29-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:37 PM

My sister just got a new Wrangler Rubicon, so she is always looking for an excuse to go wheeling. There is an OHV park about a mile from me, but it is kind of boring. There are also a lot of wild life sanctuaries really close to me with a ton of trails and river rock. Check out www.ca.jobs.gov if you're looking for a nice State job. I work for a State agency and love it. They're always hiring safety people.
And your not??? Are you really powning your sister off on me right now? I know my ZJ is not ready for tuff stuff but come on!!

And thanks man, I have been looking at CA's job options for awhile (prior 8 years Marines) but they are ridiculous on many things I believe in (gun stuff) .. I do no think this state will EVER be what I call home.. I need my gun, my jeep, and my girl (not in that order) to be safe..

I feel like CA is going down an down.. Alaska?? Yep!!

Quick Reply: Jeep fund low, D35 giving me trouble, help?