Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Instrument Panel Lights

First off I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who helped solve my last problem with the seat!

My new problem is the instrument panel lights! They work! None of the bulbs are blown and when you hit the top of the dash board the lights come on! I have managed to get the speedometer over to the right lit up, but can not get the left side lit up. Can anyone help with this?

Also my lights behind the heat/ac dials are not working. Sometimes they light up but not fully they are very dim. Any suggestions on this would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance for this too!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TanitaA26
First off I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who helped solve my last problem with the seat!

My new problem is the instrument panel lights! They work! None of the bulbs are blown and when you hit the top of the dash board the lights come on! I have managed to get the speedometer over to the right lit up, but can not get the left side lit up. Can anyone help with this?

Also my lights behind the heat/ac dials are not working. Sometimes they light up but not fully they are very dim. Any suggestions on this would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance for this too!
HELP! Wierd electrical problem - Jeep Dies
Need help: I have a 2001 sport. Here is what’s happening. About 1 months after getting the truck used last year I was driving along and all of the sudden a warning light in red pops on "Check Gauges" and the VOLT meter was pinned all the way to the full positive side of the gauge. I said to myself wow.. what the hell! truck was running fine.. So i was at a light and i shut it off and it started back up fine, warning gone and away I went.. 4 months later same thing happened.. It only happened about 3 times in the last 12 months and i simply shut it off to fix the warning..

Yesterday I ran the truck up a snow mountain for fun.. I drive away and all of the sudden the 'Check Gauges" light comes on and the volt gauge is pegged all the way to max volts. So as i have done before I shut it off to correct.. HOWEVER, it wont restart, no power whatsoever.. not even flasher power. completely dead.. for 5 minutes I’m sitting at the entrance to a parkway here on Long Island with no power at all... So i look at the tachometer and its sitting at about 300rpm.. I just glanced at it.. my next thing was to turn on and off the headlights for whatever reason to try and jolt something.. as i was doing this I watched the tachometer go down about 50rpm each time I turned the headlights on and off.. when the tach read zero I turned the key and the truck started right up like no problem.. LOL

I proceeded to Best buy to buy something. I came out, opened my door with manual key, unlocked the passenger door for my son with the power lock. I put the key in to start and DEAD no power nothing.. I hit the power lock again and this time dead?? Im saying WTF! No reading on tach.. pulling headlight lever on off nothing.. I pop hood and play around with batter wires.. etc.. more wires tapping.. Then the truck starts..

I got it home and parked it.. Im using my convertible now! What could this be?? I hate to start replacing wires for no reason..

No fuses blown, battery terminals are clean and tight though covered in oil and dirt by the starter..

I found this write up on trouble spots with these trucks.. could the gauge cluster harness be doing a complete NO power situation? Take a look at these issues..
http://www.fourwheeler.com/buyersguides/129_0606_1984_2001_jeep_cherokee_xj/troubles.html

Please help.. should I change the battery cables with a whole new setup?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Alternating Current
Weak link: Instrument cluster
Models affected: '97 and later
What happens: The stock connector for the instrument cluster is susceptible to minor oxidation, which could cause sporadic or no operation of the airbag warning light, tachometer, or speedometer.
Strong fix: You could simply clean the connector terminals, but this is a temporary fix. Your best bet is to contact your local Jeep dealer and order the parts to fix it right. Our friends at Bryden Motors in Beloit, Wisconsin (the folks who service our long-term Liberty CRD), tell us that per Technical Service Bulletin 08-15-99 it can be repaired using part numbers 05016261 (cluster connector patch harness), 04856975 (electric contact cleaner), and 04778570 (heat-shrink tubing). Installation of the revised instrument cluster connector will require removal of the gauge cluster along with contact cleaning and soldering.
Contact: Bryden Motors (Jeep dealer), 800/727-9336, www.brydenmotors.com, or your local Jeep dealer