Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Idle and stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Idle and stalling problem

We have a 97 4.0L GC Laredo with about 150,000 mi that is experiencing the random idling and stalling that seems to be an ongoing problem. We replaced the PCN about a year ago for the same problem and it seemed to take care of it. Within the last 4-6 weeks, the problem has returned. I have cleaned the contacts and used the tie wraps to stabilize the plugs at the PCN. I have just been told by the shop that currently has it that Chrysler previously had a kit available for the replacement of the PCN plugs and that if the 3 were replaced for $720 ($195 parts, $525 labor for cut and splice) that they guaranteed it would fix the problem (yeah sure). Having searched the jeep forums extensively, I have not read anything about a kit available from Chrysler or that the plug replacement has been performed as a fix for this problem. While the vehicle is in really good shape, I don't really want to invest what I think is about 20-25% of what the vehicle is currently worth, even with their "guarantee". Your assistance and feedback is appreciated
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Have you tried eliminating any other possible causes? Are you 100% sure that the problem is with the plugs at the PCN?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Default idle and stalling problem

I'm not convinced, thus my sarcasm regarding the shops diagnosis and subsequent "guarantee". Am looking to see if anyone has taken this approach
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by WifesJeep
I'm not convinced, thus my sarcasm regarding the shops diagnosis and subsequent "guarantee". Am looking to see if anyone has taken this approach
I don't think that's it... I've never read this issue before... if pulling the plugs out... cleaning and using electrical grease to reinstall them doesn't fix the issue then I don't see another set of plugs doing it... also make sure all the pins are pushed into the plugs... sometimes they back out when installing them... otherwise I'd look elsewhere...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Default idle and stalling problem

I agree. When the problem first resurfaced, I disconnected the battery, pulled the plugs from the PCM, cleaned with contact cleaner, let them dry, coated wiht electronic grease and reassembled. I also added a tie wrap around the left hand plug to make sure that it didn't back out. All was good for a short period, and then the idle and stalling issue returned. Doing a little local research, I'm finding out that all replacement PCMs are not created equal. The one I have is from Advance Auto parts and have been led to believe their life expectancy tends to be 6 - 8 months. One repair center says that they will tell customers that want them to use PCMs from local parts houses (no wait) can almost guarantee that the problem will return in 6 - 8 months. I am taking it into a shop that deals strictly in jeep repair and will post results when I get them.