Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

I really need your help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I really need your help

I posted about this about a month ago, and I'm running out of options. Here's the deal. I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L. When I turn the key to the start position, none of the dash lights turn on, and when you turn the key to start the vehicle nothing is turning. When this first started we changed the starter thinking that was the problem. After working for awhile it started doing the same thing. Usually if I leave the key in the start position after a few minutes it will start, but since about a month ago it hasn't started at all. Since then I have changed the ignition coil, the ignition switch, we even tried changing out the ECU but to no avail. Also, I have tested the power distribution center to make sure that voltage was getting through, and there is voltage going through the distribution center. We also tried to use an OB2 scanner, but it wouldn't read from the computer because there was no power. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I need my Jeep running again. I miss it
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Exactly what the wifes Jeep did when the ECU went... leave the key on and eventually the starter relay would start to click.. then prime the fuel line.. then start.

The ECU you attempted was known good and had the same last four digits? They need to match up... or be a succeeded number.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Yes, the ECU for my Jeep is part number P56044304. So I bought one that is the exact part number and it was taken from a cash for clunkers trade in that was working properly.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

I'd try another ECU..

When the wifes was going i swapped vehicles with her, didnt want her sitting in parking lot after work waiting for it to start. It got to the point where i had to wait close to an hour before the fuel pump relay would click.. and the security system flash and allow me to start it.

Wouldnt a no power issue with a scanner hooked to ECU be another indication of an ECU failure?

Otherwise i'm out of ideas bud..

You can try looking for Info at www.jeepsunlimited (where i found the info to indicate ECU in my case), JeepForum and NAGCA... might get some more input to help you out.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 AM

That sounds just like mine. When you changed the ECU did it correct the problem.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, immediately and no issues in the past 2 years. I bought a reman'd ECU from ebay. LCQ liduidators or something... they are a dismantling company and were excellent to deal with.

IIRC i paid $80.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM

I bought mine from Ebay as well, but paid $100. Oh well the shipping was free. LOL!! Anyway, so I decided to check the voltage in my distribution center again just to be sure, and this is why I found. Every relay and fuse is receiving voltage except the I/Wiper relay which sits right next to the starter relay. When I pulled the relay out it has some green corrosion on it too. So, 10 million question. Could that one relay be causing all of my issues, and if so how to I fix it, because there's no power going to it so I'm going to have to go into the distribution center huh? Any thoughts?