Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HVAC Door Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 318
Default HVAC Door Replacement?

Hi, y'all. I'm fixin to buy a 95 ZJ Limited, with that dual climate control. Owner says heat and air work great, but blow out at feet. His ole lady had dryer vent hose runnin from floor, and duct taped to the dash to get the AC up top, where it'd do her some good. Now, I gotta say, I do love the redneck engineering that went into that, for sure. In fact, if it's too difficult or expensive to fix, I'll do that very thing, and aim it at the windshield.

After reading some posts here, and using the search, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the problem lies in a blend door. Kevin showed me what the problem is. He pointed to a a white door directly under the middle of the dash, pretty far forward, and just above the transmission hump. My understanding is that this is a purely electrical system, and there are no vacuum hoses operating it.

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches - I'm an aircraft mechanic, but I absolutely hate working on interior stuff, especially tearing apart dashes, instrument panels, etc. (That's one of the reasons I work in an experimental flight dept - no interiors!)

So, here are my questions. Am I gonna hafta break the AC system open to fix this? And, to be truthful, I'd be happy if I can just attach a cable or wire to the door and manually operate it if it's very easy to do. I've got 5 kids to feed, so hemorrhaging money really isn't an option, but it's gonna be getting cold soon.....

Also, the HeaterTreater is a no-go. It doesn't support this year model, I think 99 is the oldest year it's for.

I originally posted this on the 25th, but I put it in the Cherokee forum, instead of GC forum.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 5.2

My 96 had a brittle vac hose from the engine supply line thru the firewall to the vac control switch behind the trouble shooting screen in front of the console. Had to take a little of the dash apart, but was worth it. I had the whole dash apart chasing the hose. It wasn't too bad. I'd do it again if I had to. I don't do cramped very well either. I rerouted the new line at the drivers side firewall to keep from taking it from 1 side of the dash to the other. Mine was blowing at the feet, too. Occasionally it does it but quickly returns to normal.
DON TX
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 318

Don, does yer 96 have the dial-a-temp with the driver/passenger settings? I was thinking those had no vacuum. The 95 I'm looking at has a T in the vacuum line that runs along the firewall, but it's capped off and doesn't run into the cabin. This Tee is on the passenger side, roughly below the windshield wiper.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Year: 1996

I just had the blend door break on my 96. It broke at the base where the solenoid connects.i was able to remove the duct directly in front of it, reach inside and break the physical door in half to remove it. I then made a new shaft from some all-thread and a new door from sheet metal and some weather stripping to seal it. I made the door in 2 pieces. The bottom 2 inches was removable so I could get the door back in the small *** hole and set the shaft in place. Then used a magnet to hold the lower in place while I screwed it in. major pia! But still easier than pulling the entire dash. Took about 3hrs.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96

That must be part of the unlimited package. Mine is single control. It may be electric control. I wish mine was. The vac lines are so brittle I'm sure I'll be replacing more and it's not going to be easy. You may have an electric motor out. Good luck.
DON TX