Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

How not to fix an idle air control motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default How not to fix an idle air control motor

Found out my IAC was bad. Thought I'd give repairing it a go. Didn't make it far before breaking some wires that I didn't see as worth patching, so I got a new one off Amazon for $40 including 1-day shipping. Better than the $50 at local stores. Here's the little I found, just in case it might be of use to someone.

With how dirty it was, I think tearing it apart for a cleaning might be worth the effort and stand a decent chance of fixing it. Any actual repairs though... I'd probably still break something.

Near the connector you can see a small hole with a pin in it. There are three of these around the circumference. Only way I can see to move them is to hammer them in with a punch. This will cause some minor damage inside, but some JB weld should fix it up.

The wires connecting the cap to the motor are extremely delicate. I'm wondering if mine had burnt out, with how easily they broke. I'd recommend pushing the pintle to remove them together from the housing.

You can see one of the pins sticking through here. Would have been easy enough to punch it back out and then repair with a strong epoxy.

Last edited by Hatsuwr; 01-30-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

that was a good effort. its cool to try and repair something just to do it. I have seen some cheap ones on ebay for under ten bucks but chances are those are built pretty cheap.

I did not replace mine, but I did clean it out (lots of built up carbon) and it did make a difference. idle is much smoother now.