Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

High Beam will not turn off.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default High Beam will not turn off.....

I am new to this site and am looking for some help.

Today I locked my 1998 Grand Jeep Cherokee while my son was inside. He opened the door after a bit and the alarm started going off. Before I could find my keys and disable the alarm it shut itself off. Later that night I went to start the Jeep again and noticed the High Beam light was illuminated on the dash board however after trying to turn it off, they would not turn off and there was no noticeable difference between regular lights and high beam lights.

After several attempts to fix it, removing what we thought was the high beam fuse, at 9:30pm we ended up simply disconnecting the battery until later.

I have searched throughout the internet and the manual and cannot find anything that relates these two events or how to turn the lights off and restore my Jeep back to normal.

Please help before I go crazy and have to walk everywhere.......
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Does your model have the multi-switch for signals, beams and wipers? If so, then I'd take a look at that. I'm thinking the alarm going off was normal, but the high beams stuck on had nothing to do with that. Just a coincidence
Also, on my '93, if my headlights are on low, pulling the multi-switch back makes hi and low beams on at the same time, until it clicks and I release it.. then it's just hi beams.. it does this going from high to low as well. I guess it's normal.
I suspect maybe the connector for your switch has come apart or the switch itself is bad.