Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default here we go again!

Just when I thought I was done. Now I Have smoking brakes on the front driver's side. New caliper is in my future.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Did you just replace the rotors?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Yes. But I did a good job of cleaning them first. The Jeep was also pulling to the right pretty hard. I'm thinking something got stuck in the pad, though, because on the next trip, no more smoke, no more pulling. Still gonna check the caliper tomorrow. Maybe spray some wd or blaster on the piston, or smear a little white lithium grease on it. Any other ideas are welcome as always.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Spraying the caliper piston with WD-40 or anything else won't do any good, it may even make things worse. New rotors are coated with an anti-rust protectant, and it is very difficult to get all of it cleaned out of the vanes in the rotors, not big deal as long as the braking surface is clean, the stuff does burn off pretty fast. Did you replace both rotors, or just the right side? And did you replace the pads too?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM

Replaced pads, rotors, front and rear. My rotors are solid, not the high performance ones. I would still tend to lean with you on that were it not for the fact that she pulled to the right, and it was the front right tire. Also, the smoke was definitely brakes burning. That acrid vomit inducing smell stays with you. Lol
Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

If it,the pulling and the smoke, went away shortly after putting on new pieces I would think the rotors were not cleaned well enought.. But if it returns or does not go away shortly I would be looking a the caliper piston possibly sticking and not retracting as it should to release the rotor.. If you can't find anything wrong with the caliper itself look at the brake line as it can swell on the inside and keep pressure on the caliper piston not letting it retract as required. I've had that problem on two different cars over the years. I know that GM had a problem with them a few years ago on lines made overseas.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM

Good point! Brake lines could be sketchy Because it sat for a while! I'll check that. Thanks.