Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

HELP solve brake/abs problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP solve brake/abs problem?

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee v8 with tow package. I recently had the tires replaced with a set of 4 studded tires for the winter. Apparently the studded tires I had were a size larger than what was originally on the jeep. After the shop changed the tires, I noticed a random buzzing noise (like ABS running on ice) while driving on dry non-slick pavement. It was only happening at random times and seemdd to happen more often when turning and braking. Howver the noise would also happen when not even touching the brakes and I would have to tap the brake pedel to get the noise to stop. The tires were not locking up or anything, I would hear the noise and the pedal would seem to be hard to press and the jeep would not really stop without a press/release of the brake pedal.

When I took the vehicle back to the shop, they believed the 1 size larger sstuded tires were causing the brake problems. However I did also find out that the shop had the rear brake drum off at the time they changed the tires to replace a stud that got broke. I ended up having them switch my original tires back on the jeep and the brake problem still persists. The shop says they cannot find a problem and the computer does not show a code. They do not know what is wrong and do not believe they did anything to cause the problem.

A friend of mine mentioned unplugging the battery cable for 15 minutes to reset a possible computer glitch. I may do that to see what happens. I would greatly appreciate any information or ideas from this forum that might help determine the problem with my Jeep so I can get it fixed. THANK YOU!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

When clearing the computer you should also turn on the headlight switch while the battery is unplugged.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by jpcounty69
I have a 94 Grand Cherokee v8 with tow package. I recently had the tires replaced with a set of 4 studded tires for the winter. Apparently the studded tires I had were a size larger than what was originally on the jeep. After the shop changed the tires, I noticed a random buzzing noise (like ABS running on ice) while driving on dry non-slick pavement. It was only happening at random times and seemdd to happen more often when turning and braking. Howver the noise would also happen when not even touching the brakes and I would have to tap the brake pedel to get the noise to stop. The tires were not locking up or anything, I would hear the noise and the pedal would seem to be hard to press and the jeep would not really stop without a press/release of the brake pedal.

When I took the vehicle back to the shop, they believed the 1 size larger sstuded tires were causing the brake problems. However I did also find out that the shop had the rear brake drum off at the time they changed the tires to replace a stud that got broke. I ended up having them switch my original tires back on the jeep and the brake problem still persists. The shop says they cannot find a problem and the computer does not show a code. They do not know what is wrong and do not believe they did anything to cause the problem.

A friend of mine mentioned unplugging the battery cable for 15 minutes to reset a possible computer glitch. I may do that to see what happens. I would greatly appreciate any information or ideas from this forum that might help determine the problem with my Jeep so I can get it fixed. THANK YOU!
Welcome to CF.
Sounds like there's a problem in your rear brakes that might have been caused when they replaced the stud. Pull the drum and look for any damaged or loose brake hardware that could be dragging and causing the noise.