Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

help please! cherokee shuttering/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help please! cherokee shuttering/vibration

OK I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 6 cylinder and auto trans..... and have a problem that has popped up on me this week.

When going from a dead stop is the only time this happens. When pulling out it kinda starts a faint shutter vibration that seems to build as it reaches 2nd gear usually (anywhere between 30-45 mph) and then just stops instantly.

At its worst when doing it before it stops, it almost kinda sounds like a muffled exhaust sound like a cat/exhaust problem and something in a odd way reminds me of how a vw bug sounds.

Now it does it more noticably when doing so on even ground or going up a hill from stopped.....and then not as bad at all if just kinda accelerating downhill easily. but doesnt always quit exactly when it shifts ...sometimes earlier sometimes after.... tranny shifts pretty smooth otherwise in my opinion

At first I thought it was the cat. converter but now im wondering if its something else possibly torque converter. I just dont wanna start tossing parts at it cause honestly im kinda tapped now cause after buying it a couple months ago ive replaced and fixed many things.....just last week alone brakes,rotors, and calipers.

Thank you for any help in advance and its very appreciated guys....thank you
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

O2 sensor maybe, same thing happened with my brothers and thats what it was, also just your tranny fluid and such, I had the same kinda laziness and bad shifting not that long ago and my fluid was so low it damged my tranny and just finished rebuilding it $900 later...couple suggestions try getting the codes to see if it might be the O2 sensor