Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Help please!

I bought a used 2000 grand Cherokee with 85K about 3 days ago. The only time I drove it was back to my house from the used car dealer (a 30 min drive). I got the car registered yesterday so I finally drove my new used car and now there's a clicking sound that is heard when the car is running..the initial problems a mechanic told me were that I needed 1 side of the motor mount, there's a crack in my fan, i need to recharge my AC, also there's a vibration feeling during acceleration, also I definitely need new tires bc there's just nomore grip on the current ones..but that was before we heard this clicking sound..someone else (not a mechanic) told me the clicking sounds like it's from a belt, not particularly the timing belt but just "a belt". Then I had him drive the car and the car was running for about 5-10 minutes in park, when he shifted it to drive, the car shut down??!! He took the key out the ignition, restarted the car, put the car back into drive, and it shut off again!! Again we took the key out, restarted the car and put it in drive, then the car ran...can anyone please tell me what this can be??
Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6 4x4

Why havent you gone back to the dealer?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by DGLG1110
I bought a used 2000 grand Cherokee with 85K about 3 days ago. The only time I drove it was back to my house from the used car dealer (a 30 min drive). I got the car registered yesterday so I finally drove my new used car and now there's a clicking sound that is heard when the car is running..the initial problems a mechanic told me were that I needed 1 side of the motor mount, there's a crack in my fan, i need to recharge my AC, also there's a vibration feeling during acceleration, also I definitely need new tires bc there's just nomore grip on the current ones..but that was before we heard this clicking sound..someone else (not a mechanic) told me the clicking sounds like it's from a belt, not particularly the timing belt but just "a belt". Then I had him drive the car and the car was running for about 5-10 minutes in park, when he shifted it to drive, the car shut down??!! He took the key out the ignition, restarted the car, put the car back into drive, and it shut off again!! Again we took the key out, restarted the car and put it in drive, then the car ran...can anyone please tell me what this can be??
First, Welcome to CF.
Second, take it back to the dealer where you bought it.
If it has the 4.7L V8, the early models are known for having problems of ticking/knocking caused by oiling issues and the rocker arms falling off.
Sounds like you need to take it back and look for another vehicle. JMO of course.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Model: Cherokee

Well i bought it from a used car dealer but it was kind of off the dealership, what it was i found a car on craigslist, got to the location late and the seller said he had another car to be sold and it was the Cherokee I now own but the cars he sells come from the used car dealership he works for..

Thank you for your replies and welcoming btw!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Well I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. But you have rights, and I'd take it back. JMO
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

The vibe on accel could be in one of the Diffs (and big bucks)
The AC is probably the evap (and big bucks)

Take it back
Ron
Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A cracked fan can cause the vibration, but I would take that lemon back.