Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Headliner in a Sunroof Car....help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headliner in a Sunroof Car....help?

'98 TSi

The headliner is sagging badly. Torn fabric on the shade for the sunroof.

Took all the trim, console, etc...off, but the board seems glued at the edges...and it doesn't seem to be one solid board under the headliner...there are large gaps for the sunroof mechanism (I can see from the back as I was starting to loosen the edges).

I've done searches here and elsewhere and they all seem to show a non-sun-roof vehicle (jeep or others) and the board just pops out. I don't want to damage the backing board...

So,....any suggestions?

(I have the headliner fabric, the adhesive spray, etc.).

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I'm in the same boat. A crappy looking headliner and an aftermarket sunroof. I dread having to deal with it, but it will have to be done soon. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Looking at it....I think I'm going to peel the edges of the boards down......cut the liner fabric to fit. Clip all around the edges. Pull down half at a time....glue board and fabric..smooth down. Glue 'upper' edge of the board..wrap fabric...glue board up again.

All done in the car after cleaning up all the old headliner stuff. Don't think it can be done outside the car....

Typed that on my phone yesterday....

To clarify:
Pull all the old fabric off.
Clean up all the foam.
It looks like the aftermarket people actually put a new headliner over the old one (i.e...there's an inner layer of fabric)...that will have to be pulled off also.
Clean up any visible old adhesive, etc.

The 'side' boards (pulled the old fabric off yesterday late PM., so I can see what was under there)...the headliner board is actually several pieces...one about 1 foot long (front to back) just above the windshield area...then two separate 6" strips on each side of the sunroof ...running the 'length' of the car...then about 2' piece at the back of the car...the whole center section is the sunroof and the mechanism behind it with no headliner board. All of the small pieces of headliner board have glue holding them to the metal of the car (or old headliner areas as the case may be)

So...I'll pull the edges of the boards down all around (so I can fold the edge of the fabric around it).

Drape the fabric over the roof of the car (the outside), cut to the proper size.

Take it into the car...use clips (clothespins, wire clips, etc.) to hold the edges to the pulled down board.

Maybe brace a board along the middle (lengthwise or width-wise), unclip one side, spray adhesive on the headliner and areas to attach and the fabric (a working from the center outwards) then repeat for the other side.

I can see some issues....since I don't have an exposed headliner, I'll have to mark each area where hardware was and cut it out after the fact (the visors, info center, grab bars, etc. as I go).

Hopefully it will look OK when it's done.

I did get the shade for the sun-roof out last night.....took a bunch of screws out at the front of the frame and sides...slid the glass forwards 1/2 way, and pulled up a bit...the shade slid right out. That's covered now.

AFARR

Last edited by AFARR; 10-13-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Edited for a bit of clarity...