Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Ground strap loose in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2l
Default Ground strap loose in engine

I know I have seen a post on ground straps, but I can't find it now. I have a loose one on my 5.2 '98 GC. It does not seem to be affecting anything but it bugs me and my OCD.

Here's a picture. It's off the right head/valve cover to a round terminal that splits to a stud bolt. Could someone repost or link to the ground strap thread or tell me where it goes so I can sleep again.

Thank you!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 PM

Through due dillagence, a whole lot of google and staring at prints the best I can tell is that this cable does not belong to the jeep (this motor was a swap so maybe it came out of a dodge?). I also figured out that the pcm is grounded to the body, the ground cable from negative battery terminal to inner right fender is corroded and broke and there is no ground from the coil mount to the right rear engine block. How this thing is running I have no idea. It miss fires and acts all crazy every day. Pictures and updates coming soon.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 AM

no pictures. but i bought a 12" battery cable to ground negative terminal to the chassis, a 32" cable to go from tensioner bracket bolt to passenger side engine block (this is the same point that the negative battery cable grounds to). there is a strap going from the drivers side block to the fire wall. i cant find the pcm ground that is to the block, but assume it is correct since the jeep runs... (should not assume on this craigslist buy...lol). looking though the prints i can see any other chassis grounds... i will have to check my alternator output as i only read 13.7 at the battery... however it seems that all my miss fire have disappeared. i will know more when my scanner arrives tuesday.
any one else want to contribute... i can use some information/encouragement...
Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mtoskippy
I know I have seen a post on ground straps, but I can't find it now. I have a loose one on my 5.2 '98 GC. It does not seem to be affecting anything but it bugs me and my OCD.

Here's a picture. It's off the right head/valve cover to a round terminal that splits to a stud bolt. Could someone repost or link to the ground strap thread or tell me where it goes so I can sleep again.

Thank you!

This strap that has started my quest does not even belong to this vehicle, it appears to be remnant of a block heater that was once installed on this engine... took it off, i can sleep tonight

Last edited by mtoskippy; 06-03-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Default The 2 straps on the back of the block?

Coming off of each head. Do they both go to the fire wall?