Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

grand cherokee , gunk in the oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM
fra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default grand cherokee , gunk in the oil cap

hi guys , i'm in the uk and new to the jeep scene and viewed my first one today , 99 model 4.7v8 . lovley car but the bonnet struts dont work...is this common? and there is white gunk under the oil cap, is this common ? or is it a sign of the headgasket going? also when reving it there was water dripping from the exhaust .

grateful for any help
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fra
hi guys , i'm in the uk and new to the jeep scene and viewed my first one today , 99 model 4.7v8 . lovley car but the bonnet struts dont work...is this common? and there is white gunk under the oil cap, is this common ? or is it a sign of the headgasket going? also when reving it there was water dripping from the exhaust .

grateful for any help
The bonnet struts weaken over time. Just gotta replace them

White junk is just moisture[i think] gathering under the cap. I work on cars for a living[just started tho] and I see a lot of low mileage cars with that white-ish junk on the inside of the oil fill cap. So I assume its alrighty.

Water is a by-product of combustion. so a little bit is normal. There are usually a small hole in the bottom of the mufflers to allow water to drain out of it so it doesnt rust from the inside out. Ever see a car pull away from a stop light and it leave a small trail of water coming out of the tail pipe?

HTH
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I agree with Mattpar. the water dripping is just moister. We see it most here in the winter when it cold and comes out in a fog. The white on the oil cap is pretty normal, again thats moisters mixed with oil. Those crappy bonnet struts are just that crappy. I have to change the ones on my wifes jeep too. Worse when its cold out.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM
fra

thanx for the replies , the gunk on the cap is quite thick , i would of thot that it would of been cleaned at its last service...but it is due on soon i think (88k)?

the car is mint,new toyo tyres,new style wheels,clean bodywork. the guy selling it is a trader and knows nothing about the car . the temp gauge was sitting at just over half and the car hadnt been drivin far ,is this normal?

sorry for all the questions...but i dont want to spend 2k on a car then spend fortunes to get t fixed .
Old 02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Hard to say. sometimes once a engine is warmed up and you turn it off they will increase in temp due to the fact that the water is no longer being changed with cool water from the rad. but that is just the first thing that comes to mind. I will just add that the 4.7 is a really good engine. I have had one before in a Durango and it had 250,000 km on it and it ran like new. Used no oil and was really still perfect. that is why I went with this jeep for my wife when we wanted a different vehicle. Good luck in your decision.