Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuse 8

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Fuse 8

Newbie here.
I just purchased a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Overhead Console, power locks and VIC are not working. I figured it has something to do with fuse 8. The fuse is good. I even put in a new one. If I remove the fuse and check for 12v at the contacts for the fuse I get nothing with the key off and in all positions.
Can someone tell me where fuse 8 gets its power. I pulled the glovebox and dash top and looked at the rear of the panel and don't see anything odd. I tried to track the red/white wire to fuse 8 and it is in a large group of wires and can't see where it comes out.
Any HELP would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
Look at the bottom of the first dia. It shows you that fuse #8 (in the PDC) gets power from circuit A11, which comes from the gen. (alt.), which you will see in the second dia. I hope it's helpful.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Thank you ol"blue. I found the fuse labeled I.O.D in the fuse box in the engine compartment was blown. It was the only fuse in that box that didn't say what it really for, just initials. I still don't know what i.o.d. means. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by 6coupe4
Thank you ol"blue. I found the fuse labeled I.O.D in the fuse box in the engine compartment was blown. It was the only fuse in that box that didn't say what it really for, just initials. I still don't know what i.o.d. means. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks again.
It stands for Ignition Off Draw. It feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules, as well as other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is in the off position, including the clock.
It can be used when the jeep is going to be stored for less than 30 days by removing the IOD fuse and placing it in an empty spot until needed again. This won't eliminate all draw from the battery though. If storing for more than 30 days disconnect battery cables.
The term ignition-off draw identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. The IOD connector feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules in the vehicle as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is in the Off position, including the clock.
The IOD connector can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle is to be stored for periods not to exceed about twenty days (short-term storage). Simply disconnect the IOD connector from the JB receptacle slot # 15 and place it in slot # 11 (see diagram above). However, it must be remembered that disconnecting the IOD connector will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. When a vehicle will not be used for more than twenty days, but less than thirty days, remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center (PDC). If a vehicle will be stored for more than about thirty days, the battery negative cable should be disconnected to eliminate normal IOD; and, the battery should be tested and re

Last edited by ol"blue; 05-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 AM

This is a GREAT forum!!
Thanks for the help!