Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel Pump Or PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Pump Or PCM?

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is acting up. I previously posted "Jeep only acts up for me" and after describing my problems a couple people said the fuel pump. I last posted on it yesterday at 7.

My concern is the vehicle backfired yesterday. First time ever. Is this because of fuel pump or computer? I did pump the gas when it hesitated started and thought it was maybe just build up. But know I am being told the fuel pressure was fine and it is computer. Please help. I need to decide which to replace. Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Engine: 4.0

Have you checked the plugs on the computer? Just did a search and a guy said that his C1 connector was loose and was doing the same thing that you are describing... He got a large zip-tie and put it around the computer to hold the plug in tight.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Thanks

Last night we figured out how to get to the computer. When we wiggled the connector to the left the jeep acted like it wanted to stall. We used two ties to secure it. While we were there we checked the two screws in the computer that some say need to be shortened. Someone before me has thought of it, becuase the screws are short. So we are praying hard this works. As of today it has not stalled. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: L6 4.0

I also have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has recently started acting up. It is stalling and backfiring. I am unable to find any logical pattern to it. It stalls and backfires both in idle, and when running under load. so far i have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, rotor, distributer cap, pre-converter O2 sensor and the air filter. I have also cleaned the air intake with carb cleaner. I am still having problems. I know that stalling and backfiring can be caused by many different things. I still have yet to check the PCM (power control module), coil and catalytic converter. but my problems started right after work on the day that i filled it up with gas. I'm leaning towards bad gas for my problem.

If there are any other ideas i can use, please post as any help is appreciated.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Default And It Begins Again :(

Well. I was hoping we had solved the problem. Maybe we did part of the problem, but not all of it lol.

Drove the jeep about 40 mins away from home and the jeep sounded a little rough. Took it to auto store once the engine light came on and it seems ALL cylinders are misfiring. But the jeep never died.

So, what do you guys think? Fuel injectors or fuel pump? I am at a loss. The ticket they printed out said possible vacuum leak, injector fault, or high or low fuel pressure.

Thank you for your time again. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Have you tried the air temp sensor yet that could be a possibility.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Default Zip tie fixed my jeep!!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me with my jeep. The zip tie has seemed to fix my problem of it stalling . So, before spending a lot of money try the zip tie. It would of saved me a lot of time and money awhile ago lol. Thanks again!!

Last edited by vicmartin; 03-18-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 AM

I didn't see the original problem with your jeep but mine is a 98 5.2 that runs great, but suddenly at random starts choking, if i'm at an idol i can hear it sucking air terribly, while driving if it starts that I can stomp on the gas and it takes off and runs like a rapped ape, I've replaced plugs, wires, cap/rotor, MAP sensor, mass air flow, O2, air intake temp sensor, and a pcm (used) but claimed to work, and coil, I'm out of ideas, I love my jeep and don't want to junk it but damn, i'm out of ideas, Oh the shop told me i had a blown plenum gasket. I'm not sure i believe that since it is totally random.......someone please help.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: L6 4.0

update on my 96 GC problem:

so far i've zip tied the pcm, which helped, replaced the pre-converter O2 sensor, rotor, distributer cap, plugs, ignition coil, fuel filter, checked the 2 screws (they were already short), replaced the air filter and cleaned the air intake valve. The Jeep is running much better, but I can still hear it missing at idle. I runs fine at higher rpms (over 1000) the only other things i can think of are the camshaft position sensor (aka pickup coil), the crankshaft position sensor, the valves are damaged/stuck/dirty, or dirty injectors (i've tried injector cleaner). hoping not the valves. If anyone else has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM

All I can say is I hope it isn't the PCM like the dealership says mine is. Not only is it going to cost md $971.50 but the part wont be here until mid April

Last edited by aubsgram; 03-27-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Year: 15
Engine: 3.6

Originally Posted by aubsgram
All I can say is I hope it isn't the PCM like the dealership says mine is. Not only is it going to cost md $971.50 but the part wont be here until mid April
Wtf???? I just got mine from dealer a month or two ago. I paid $750 out the door. Where are you located?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by OnAll4s
Wtf???? I just got mine from dealer a month or two ago. I paid $750 out the door. Where are you located?

I'm in Louisville, KY. I had the Jeep towed to another mechanic who thinks it's the cps & if it does end up being the cpm then I'm having him get me a reburbished one.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM

It's hit or miss with refurbed... You might get lucky or you might end up more pissed than before. There is another thread I put out a detailed message on about refurbed PCMs. I think it's " jeep keeps randomly dying" thread
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

well here is another similar problem I have having with my 93 5.2l jeep. I put a new fuel pump in last year thought all was good. It left me stranded so I got it home bought another fuel pump put it in and seemed like I fixed it. They my son drove it to work and when he came out to go home it ran like crap. I then changed out the fuel filter which not sure did anything. I can get it running but it will fluctuate rpm, almost die then rev up. I can feather the throttle to get it to rev up but I get some backfiring at times. was thinking it might have something to do with throttle position sensor but not sure if these have them. I have no cel on. Seems to unreal to have another fuel pump die. plugs are brand new, wires, cap and rotor not sure how old. gives me a headache thinking of getting that out of there, might just go the route of taking the intake off to get at it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Yea idk what I'm gonna do, but I have other issues. My rear diff is about to go. Picking up a Dana 44HD tomorrow

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Or PCM?