Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel Pump or Fuel Injectors?Laredo stalling again

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Pump or Fuel Injectors?Laredo stalling again

I have previously posted and believed my problem was resolved. I was wrong. We have a 1996 JGCL that is a 6 cylinder. I think it is a straight or inline (concerning the motor)

Problem was that the jeep would die randomly. The stalling was no longer an issue after we secured one of the connectors to the PCM. Before that we had done a oil change, two tune ups, cam sensor, crank sensor, and cleaned throttle body.

About a week ago it started stalling when we would start it in the colder mornings. Yesterday we drove it to the park in the afternoon. When we went to leave it started stalling and kind of chugging. After another try we could smell gas. We let it sit and tried again. Leaving it in reverse and putting foot on gas resulted in it chugging and stalling. He then put it in neutral and pushed the gas, which seemed to allow it to chug and stay running. It then started running smooth and we made it home with no other issue.

Our question is what is going on? Some say fuel pump or injectors. Both are expensive. Is there a way to clean each injector?

If anyone has any helpful info it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Year: 1992 1998
Engine: 4.0

Could be a failing fuel pressure regulator or bad injector seal if you are smelling gas. Have you looked to see if you can tell where it is coming from? I would also suggest a fuel pressure test. (can get a tester at harbor freight pretty cheap).

Fuel pressure regulators are known to leak into the vaccum line and if it eats the rubber hose that may be why you smell gas.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

My brother had it before we tried the zip tie and he tested the fuel pressure. He said the pressure stayed good.

The people who owned it before me said they replaced the fuel pump, but the fuel gauge has not worked since I purchased it. Could that have anything to do with it. (saying the pump is bad?)
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The sending unit for the gauge is part of the fuel pump unit. They may have left something loose, or used the wrong part.
It sounds like it may have a leaking fuel injector, allowing the fuel pressure to flood the engine while sitting, after it has been shut off. JMO