Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

fuel line retaining clips at filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6 Inline
Default fuel line retaining clips at filter

A friend of mine has a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. He had his employee attempt to change the fuel filter and he broke one of the little plastic clips. I've gotten a new clip but don't know how it fits together (two parts) and how it attaches to the line and female end of the line. Seems very fragile and i can't find a photo anywhere. People at the parts counter didn't know either. Can anyone tell me? I just have the one line to put back on and I can't figure out how the clip goes on. Its July 4th and everything is closed. Thanks,
Barbara

Last edited by Barbarella; 07-04-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to be more specific
Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Barbarella
A friend of mine has a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. He had his employee attempt to change the fuel filter and he broke one of the little plastic clips. I've gotten a new clip but don't know how it fits together (two parts) and how it attaches to the line and female end of the line. Seems very fragile and i can't find a photo anywhere. People at the parts counter didn't know either. Can anyone tell me? I just have the one line to put back on and I can't figure out how the clip goes on. Its July 4th and everything is closed. Thanks,
Barbara
Post a picture
Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Engine: V6 Inline
Default pic posted

here is a pic of the fuel filter end and the retaining clips. the hose is inflexible and has a female end, very large like a water hose adapter.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

1) Open your gas filler cap to release fuel tank pressure.

2) Remove Fuel Pump relay in Power Distribution Center near battery

3) Start vehicle, until it stalls. Attempt to turn over again to remove remaining pressure in lines.

4) Reinstall Fuel Pump relay.

5) Disconnect Battery Negative.

6) Press on both blue/green/white tabs, while pulling the black portion of forward fuel line away from Fuel Filter, taking care not to bend or otherwise damage line on the metal lip 4" away.

7) Allow fuel to sputter and spit into a container until it stops. Remove the tank side line.

8) Using 10mm socket and ratchet disconnect retaining clip.

9) *Tough Part* Be gentle, and remove the little blue/green/white tabs from old Fuel Filter by inserting two flat head Jeweler's screwdrivers, or as in my case, two steak knives. Be patient, and gently pry the inner tabs of the retaining clips by wedging the instrument underneath it, working both sides simultaneously over the metal ring on each side of the filter.

10) Opposite the last step, put the clips you just took off right back onto the new Fuel Filter. It is much easier.

11) Press on the engine side fuel line, making sure there is an audible click. Pull on the connection to ensure it is snug. Connect the Fuel Tank facing fuel line the same way.

12) Insert the Fuel Filter retaining clip into it's groove in the underbody attachment and install the 10mm screw and tighten to specified torque... in my case... 1/2 turn tighter than hand tight.

13) Take a shower 3x.

14) Connect negative battery cable.

15) Crank engine until it starts. Voila!

16) Get JeepFaced with your favorite frosty beverage, and admire your work.

SO... what you are looking for specifically, is put the little white clip onto the male end of the Fuel Filter, with the "Arrows" pointing away from the filter. You will get a little confirmation snap in one direction; in the other it will stop at the ring and will not stay on the filter. The black clip attaches to the Fuel Line. However, I did not have to do that step and thus you shall have to figure that one out using your noodle. It looks like it presses into/onto the line. =)

Last edited by JeepFaced; 07-07-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Barbarella
here is a pic of the fuel filter end and the retaining clips. the hose is inflexible and has a female end, very large like a water hose adapter.
Where did you find this part? I had to cut one out of another Droman end I bough from and autoparts store. I couldn't find this anywhere. I assume you got it in by now.