Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel Line crack/leak...which line is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Line crack/leak...which line is it?

'97 TSi with the 4L.

Daughter calls 'I see some brown stuff dripping from behind the car in the middle and down the wheel..'.

Figured maybe I didn't tighten the bolts on the diff cover or something...so she drives home.

Leaking fuel line. Actually spraying out the small crack as pressure was bleeding off.

A crack...it's the thicker of the two plastic lines near the tank. To do a temp patch...I cut at the crack, slipped a rubber fuel hose over each end (about 5" on either side of the crack), and put two clamps on each side of where the crack was (one clamp was hard to get on as it's mostly above the fuel tank).

Seems solid...no leakage either with the vehicle running or after it's shut off.

For now, the patch should work. I'll have to drop the tank to get access to the end of the hose.

For ordering purposes....is the thicker hose the return hose or the fuel pump to engine hose?

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Nobody?

Is there a source for parts diagrams?

My other project (daily driver) is an older BMW 318is and I use RealOEM.com for hugely helpful parts diagrams on a regular basis.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM

I replaced mine on a 99 WJ. Couldn't get a replacement anywhere but through the dealer. Was about $80. The replacement was different and built better. Obviously they were aware of this issue and made a better replacement.
Had to drop the tank. Not too bad of a job.
I forget what they called the part assembly though....a buddy of mine ordered it for me.
I forget what fuel hose was which....I just remember it being idiot proof. You could only connect the correct line on top of the fuel pump....and to the connectors on the steel fuel lines. You can't screw it up.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mugs
I replaced mine on a 99 WJ. Couldn't get a replacement anywhere but through the dealer. Was about $80. The replacement was different and built better. Obviously they were aware of this issue and made a better replacement.
Had to drop the tank. Not too bad of a job.
I forget what they called the part assembly though....a buddy of mine ordered it for me.
I forget what fuel hose was which....I just remember it being idiot proof. You could only connect the correct line on top of the fuel pump....and to the connectors on the steel fuel lines. You can't screw it up.
Thanks.

I'll check with the dealer. Maybe the ZJ part is cheaper. I don't like to get under the car unless I have the parts handy. (the 'patch') hasn't leaked in several days.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Found a better fix (I think)....

Designed to fix the nylon lines. Probably work pretty well...might try that first.

AFARR