Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Failing Driver Door Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Failing Driver Door Harness

I have owned and enjoyed my 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo since 97. In January of this year I joined this forum in hopes of getting help in finding a replacement driver's door wiring harness. I had earlier made a temporary repair to the harness thinking that would do till I could locate a new one. When I tried to buy one from my Jeep dealer I learned they are no longer available. Then I learned from this forum that they truly are non existent. I plan to completely rewire it when I can get to it. In the meantime, I have been told by a local "so called expert" that if certain wires in that harness fail, not only will I lose control to the door locks and power windows, but that it will shut down the engine operation as well. I don't see how any wire in that bundle could do that but I do get out into some areas that I would be in serious trougle if I had to face walking back to civilization. So, please let me know if that wiring harness could leave me stranded. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Year: 1995

I see that there have been 41 views to my post. I'm surprised that my question is such an unknown to each of you as well. I'm new on the site and don't mean to be abusive but really need help. Maybe if I bring it to the top again it will be easier for someone else to see. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Sorry you're having the problem, but lots of people, myself included, avoid wiring issues like the plague. If I have a suitable diagram, I then try to help. That not the case here. You're looking for a replacement harness.
The usual cause of wiring issues in the door, are broken/cracked wires in the rubber sock in the door jamb. As you've found replacement harnesses are almost non-exisestent. Some dealers still have them sitting in dust on a back shelf, but lack the knowledge or willpower to either look them up of physically find them. I've been through this personally. A good parts counter person is irreplaceable.
I'd probably do like you have, and replace one wire at a time. At least until you can find a nice, suitable replacement at a swap meet, or on ebay from a vehicle that's being parted out.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I've got a 99 GC and that harness gave it up (main power wire broke). Lost
windows, mirrors and door locks. Even lost the radio, I believe the wires shorted
against the speaker wire thus putting the radio in a "safe" mode. Personally, I can't think of anything there that would shut down the Jeep.
Since making the repair, everythings back working.
Just a thought, you could pull all the fuses that go to anything in the doors and see if
it cause it not to run.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM

I have a 94 have had the same problem. As ol blue stated the plug was the problem for me. I just traced the wire color back to the plug and gave a wiggle. Then worked fine havent had problems since but I know I didnt really fix anything at least I know where the problem is. I really doubt there is anything in that door thats going to shut the truck down. Progressive electronics makes a toner to trace wires mostly used to trace telephone wires but works great for cars.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: v 6
Default More door wiring problems

I just found my problem with the door harness(I have been looking for years,After I find it there is a post (figures))any way.MY door problem shuts off the gauges locks windows and other things.I pushed the plug in .it will not stay.I am going to wedge a piece of wood to hold it I do not want to glue it that will come back to bit me.
If I get it to stay I will post my solution.
Thanks for all the help