Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

EVIC reads "Check Gas Cap"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default EVIC reads "Check Gas Cap"

2005 GC just turned 100k miles. Filled up yesterday, all fine, came out of work today and "Check gas cap" popps up every couple minutes on my display. I checked, seemed ok, but bought a new one anyways that seemed to snug up better but the light is still on. Vehicle is running fine otherwise. Any suggestions please???

Also, not that this would be the problem, but we had a huge temp swing here yesterday 60's and rainy to 30's and flurries today...any chance that may be a contributing factor?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

its the gas cap sensor is going bad, your lucky your able to start it, on most new vehicles when that goes bad it wont even let you start it up. I guess jeep is smarter than that.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Ur sh**ting me???

Come on? Is there really such a things as a "gas cap sensor"? And if so, where is it, by the filler neck or what? Not that I'm not believing you, I've just never heard of a gas cap sensor and I have been around cars for a long time and even wrote service for many years.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

haha i know right what is this world coming too. my 98 was getting me depressed with all the sensors it has, glad i do not have a 2005+ haha. i cant tell you where it is located on a cherokee because i have never owned one (that new), but its there some where and its your problem. try google.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Default ok, maybe this will shed some light on it....

I found this and had driven through a couple sizable puddles as we had over 2 inches of rain yesterday here.....
A 0.040 leak has been detected in the evaporative system. (A faulty gas cap may cause this code). Also see <A href="http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm">TSB 25-001-02A. Note: The respective Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual will direct the technician to determine if the vehicle evaporative system has an external system leak. Examples of some external system leaks are: a loose gas cap, a disconnected evaporative system hose, or a loose hose connection. Remember that the evaporative system may also have an internal system leak. This internal leak may be caused by an intermittent or permanently stuck open
A 0.040 leak has been detected in the evaporative system. (A faulty gas cap may cause this code). Also see <A href="http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm">TSB 25-001-02A. Note: The respective Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual will direct the technician to determine if the vehicle evaporative system has an external system leak. Examples of some external system leaks are: a loose gas cap, a disconnected evaporative system hose, or a loose hose connection. Remember that the evaporative system may also have an internal system leak. This internal leak may be caused by an intermittent or permanently stuck open Duty Cycle Purge (DCP) valve. This leak source is considered to be internal because any escaping emissions enter into the engine system and not directly into the atmosphere, unlike an external leak. An internal leak may cause one of the above DTC?s. Possible causes of a stuck open (intermittent or permanent) DCP valve are: 1. Corrosion due to system moisture or possible water intrusion into the system.
(DCP) valve. This leak source is considered to be internal because any escaping emissions enter into the engine system and not directly into the atmosphere, unlike an external leak. An internal leak may cause one of the above DTC?s. Possible causes of a stuck open (intermittent or permanent) DCP valve are: 1. Corrosion due to system moisture or possible water intrusion into the system.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Default It's fixed....at least for now

Checked under hood, everything looked ok, released pressure from the system and took a nice trip and everything was fine. No lights, ran great