Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Engine cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine cuts off

I have a problem with my jeep(2005 grand cherokee lmt 5.7 hemi) engine cutting off. It usually happens when I almost come to a complete stop, less than 5-10 MPH. When this happens my engine will run rough and the Electronic Stability Program light comes on and the engines shuts down. I wait a few seconds and start the engine it starts right back up and will not happen again for a week or so, but it seems to be increasing more. I had the same problem several months ago. I took my jeep to the dealer and they had to replace the Crank sensor. I drove the jeep for several weeks with no problem but the same problem had returned. I did not want to take my jeep back to the dealer because when I originally took the jeep in for a oil change check and routine maintenance several months ago (my jeep was running perfect), when I got it back the engine cut-off started. . What started as a routine checkup and oil change, became a nightmare. The jeep went back several times within a month after I got it back. The final visit to the dealer my jeep had to be towed. The next day I was told I needed a brand new engine. That is another story and I am still angry about. I was given an 80% discount on motor, but hell I still paid $4,700.00. And the original problem was not corrected so now I am experiencing the same problem again, but I want to try and repair it myself if possible.

Could someone give me a clue where to look or start/ Could it be the crank sensor again or fuel pump? any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"The next day I was told I needed a brand new engine."
Why?

Do you have a scanner that will allow you to view live data?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

A 5.7l costs 23,500? Gotta love the dealership.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, why was the motor replaced? Any check engine light? Possible torque converter lock up issue but that is just a wag. Need a scan tool that will show data. Probably not a quick fix if you have been to the dealer several times and there has been nothing fixed.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
A 5.7l costs 23,500? Gotta love the dealership.
That's the weird part assuming 75000 miles, very good condition, the whole thing is only worth $12,000.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Thank you all for your responses. "Why did the engine need replacing". I just had picked up the jeep from the dealer earlier that day because it would jerk when I accelerate on the freeway. When the jeep had to be towed to dealership I had just finished filling up the tank at costco. I went to start it, it started, but a there was a loud clanking noise - sounded like the fan or belt was hitting the housing or something. Anyway, the jeep was towed to the dealership again. The next day I was told that a valve retainer got loose in the Head and destroyed the engine. Ironically, during the previous visit before this one, they had to removed the Heads for some reason - according to the service advisor it was necessary to further trouble shoot the problem. This has not been the first time I sent my Jeep in for service with nothing wrong, but when I get back there are problems that develop. I am disgusted with the dealership and I no longer trust them. Well, almost 5k later, a new engine and tons of frustration, I still have the same problem. Wondering if the crank sensor went bad again or camshaft sensor? I thought maybe the fuel pump, but the symptoms based on the research on the forums points more to the sensors but really not sure. again, Electronic Stability Program light comes on and the engines very ruff seconds before it stalls. No other lights come on. However, the other day when I was driving the engine icon light stayed on for a while, then went out. During the time the light was on, I had no issues, however, I do notice a slight chug from time to time.

My jeep only had 68K and ran beautiful until they got their hands on it. And the body condition is mint. I'm angry again as I think of this ordeal - such is life...............................woooooop pop goes the weasel!!!!!

Thanks again guys for hearing me out.

Any suggestions appreciated -

Last edited by derrick1231; 09-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.