Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Elusive Fuel Pump Leak - The Final Chapter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4 Litre Straight Six Petrol/LPG
Default Elusive Fuel Pump Leak - The Final Chapter!

No it hasn't spontaniously burst into flames - fortunately!

I acquired my, ('dirt cheap'), 99 GC for a song due to it having two specific problems - a whining noise from the rear axle and a rather disturbing fuel leak eminating from the rear fuel tank area.

After taking the risk of driving it home, (with the possibility of it turning into a fireball at any point during the 30 mile journey), I put her up on ramps and took a good look around the fuel tank area.

Fuel was evident on the fuel line, (from the pump feed to the in line filter), although I could not gain access to the pump itself as it was hidden above the tank with only about 2" to 4" of space, (I even purchased a 'snake' USB camera to take a closer look).

My GC has both a 30 litre petrol tank and a 70 litre LPG tank so the process of lowering both was a little concerning, (especially as the LPG tank was nearly full), but I am now awaiting receipt of my 'design innovation' award for my utilisation of a couple of axle stands, several blocks of wood and a hydraulic jack to safely lower, (and safely hold), both tanks for a more detailed inspection.

Petrol was, literally, flowing out of the quick release pump connector, (my pump has the single outlet that feeds the in line fuel filter under the rear axle), so I initially, (and incorrectly), suspected a combination of perished fuel line and a duff connector.

I obtained a length of new fuel line, (and two second hand connectors), and fitted them last weekend, (the original fuel line was in a terrible state), but, (when I started the engine), fuel continued to flow from the replaced connector - drat!

I then lowered the tanks, even further, and then removed the entire fuel pump asembly, thoroughly cleaning it, (I also removed, cleaned and blew compressed air through the fuel pressure regulator), and I then placed it in a bucket of water, (to see if the connector would still leak - with no load), and it worked a treat with no leaks!

I then re-fitted it to the tank and tried it again but the leak was still there as bad as before - double drat!!

Thinking logically the only other culprit had to be the pressure regulator, (possibly delivering full pressure to the fuel rail at all times), thus causing the weakest part of the system to leak?

I ordered a brand new regulator, (£48), from Jersey, (UK), and fitted it yesterday and, guess what, NO leak!!

Hopefully that is one job less to do although I have yet to road test it to ensure fuel delivery is good throughout the entire rev range.

Front and rear diff examination is the next job on the 'to do' list!