Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default electrical problem?

I think I might have an electrical problem with my a/c unit. I have a 1999 Limited with the dual climate zone with digital temp control. After doing research on the forum and around the web I don't think it is either of the common a/c problems (blend doors or blower motor). The symptoms are as follows.

Today I turned my car on (35 degrees outside) and there is no life from the a/c or heat. The back lighting comes on, but the green digital temp numbers done come on and nothing blows. I didn't have a chance to test it but I don't believe the rear defrost/heated mirrors work either. Has anyone had this problem before? Is it electrical in the dash or what? Is it something I can fix myself without getting screwed at a mechanic?

I need to mention that it has happened before. Two weeks ago the same problem occurred but after driving for 5 minutes it kicked back on and has worked until now. Does that mean it isn't a fuse since it came back on before? Please help! I'm freezing. Thank god the heated seats haven't gone out on me yet.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 AM

Model: Cherokee

Might be a bad solder joint somewhere in there....

If it were a bad component causing an open circuit, it would die once and never come on.

Wrong model, but this should give you an idea of how to reheat all of the dots there and add more solder if some places look dry....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/

Allie
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

I have a similar problem on my 2000 WJ – I have traced the fault to a poor connection at the a/c blower/matrix assembly.

The a/c blower/matrix assembly is located above the passenger foot-well, with the connecting wiring freely accessible, without removal of any covers.

With the ignition on, and the blower set to max – give the wires, at their termination in this area, a gentle wiggle.

If you have the same fault as me – your blower will energize (or not) dependent on the wire position.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

Forgot to mention that I have discovered that if you set the cabin temperature controls to heat – and the matrix/engine is cold, the blower will not energize. To overcome this problem, first set the temperature controls to minimum, then adjust to the desired temperature – otherwise you will have to wait until the engine gets some warmth in the system, before the blower will energize.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Check these for any helpful tips/advice: >--> http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm
And >--> http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm

Hope it helps and Welcome to CF.