Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electrical Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical Nightmare

Hi all,

2005 Grand Cherokee:

Electrical problems started a few days ago, the radio would have no sound despite the radio being in, volume did nothing. Shut down, restarted, now volume control didn't work. Shut down, restarted, everything is fine.

Now: I was driving, recieved "door ajar warning" at first it was random, then to always being ajar. Open/close door. Nothing different. Check google and forums, everything pointed to wires being broken in the door frame inside the black boot...

Only issue, they are perfectly fine. So I disconnected the battery to save it. Went to start it, it was dead, couldn't jump it off the battery pack or another car. So battery is dead. I noticed the high beams were stuck on , nothing would shut them off.

So what I'm thinking: that the battery is gone (obviously) but that the alternator is the blame. Its had dimming lights when using anything electrical, esp windows. Do you think this is the solution or just a symptom? Any help greatly appreciated.