Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default electrical issue

I bought a 2001 grand Cherokee limited 4.7 with an after market radio and a rigged horn button on the dash. My battery keeps draining and I have to jump it almost daily. When I have my iPod plugged into the radio and I hit the brights or turn on the wipers it resets the iPod. And now my windows quit working. I changed the master switch and that didn't work. So I started it up and unhooked the positive and the interior lights started flickering. Does this mean that the alternator's bad? And if I change the alternator, will it solve the other issues? Or is that a short somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

loss and broken ground wire connections, almost ever grand suffers with it...three major ground connections located in the near center of the dash. Remove the knee buster panel and you will see where these black wire grounds are connected, also if you remove the kick panel on the lower left corner..and tug on the wires individually that go through in the door sock, you will at least 2 broken wires and one will be the larger black wire
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Model: Cherokee

Would that drain my battery? Or do I look into changing the alternator? Thank you, by the way
Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

almost anything can drain the battery, you should first check to see if the battery itself is actually good, have it tested if you do not have a tester, you will also need to test for a draw and there are threads on this sight that can walk you through doing that
Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM
HP2

Year: pair of 99s
Engine: 4.0

Here is a good tutorial on that;