Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electric ZJ seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default Electric ZJ seats

May be an odd question, but do electric ZJ seats have a manual recline seat back, or is that also electric? I know slide electrically, but need to know if they recline electrically or not.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
May be an odd question, but do electric ZJ seats have a manual recline seat back, or is that also electric? I know slide electrically, but need to know if they recline electrically or not.
The "6-Way Power Seats" have manual recliners. The "8-Way" have power recliners. The "10-Way" have power lumbar adjusters as well.
Hope that helps.
Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 94
Model: Cherokee

^^^^ What Ol'Blue said... he knows his ZJ stuff!

What option packages are we most likely to find the 8 and 10way power Sir?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
^^^^ What Ol'Blue said... he knows his ZJ stuff!

What option packages are we most likely to find the 8 and 10way power Sir?
That's where I'm at a loss with my memory problems. I can't access my "stuff" in my comp. in Tenn from this lap-top in Mich. My "Albino" Orvis was ordered with the black leather heated 10-Way power seats, so that deleted the funky two-tone Orvis interior with the 6-Way power seats. I have the different package info in my comp. at home, and I'll see if I can find the info for you from here. I'm not good on the comp. though, so I can't promise anything. I'll post it when/if I find it.
Dan

Thanks for the compliment John!! You are too kind. You know much more than I do sir.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Dont worry about it bud... i was just curious.

I had been wondering about your ZJ the last few days.. when i found out it was an Orvis. You special ordered the white exterior as well?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Dont worry about it bud... i was just curious.

I had been wondering about your ZJ the last few days.. when i found out it was an Orvis. You special ordered the white exterior as well?
No I saw it for sale. I did a carfax and found out it was an Orvis. I was skeptical to say the least. I'd heard of the few silver '97 ones, but thought this was some kind of scam. They never made a "White Orvis", or so I thought. I had the numbers checked by the dealer and my insurance co. and it came back as genuine. All numbers on it, under hood, door jamb, rad. support, even engine and build date match. I've had the trans replaced at the dealer since I bought it.
It was apparently special ordered by someone with pull, either a dealer or factory rep. I assume. Everyone knows about the Moss green ones, and there are a few silver '97 Orvis's, but I can't find out how many other "special order" ones were made. I wish I knew more about "my baby".
Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by ol"blue
The "6-Way Power Seats" have manual recliners. The "8-Way" have power recliners. The "10-Way" have power lumbar adjusters as well.
Hope that helps.
Dan
how would i konw what one i have? just count the different ways the seat moves? lol
Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sc0r1a
how would i konw what one i have? just count the different ways the seat moves? lol

Pretty much..

Mine has three switches on the side. One for up/down of front, one for up/down in rear, and one forward/back. With a manual lever on seat back to recline. Mine are 6way.

Pretty self explanatory but i'll attempt to get a pic to aid in this thread.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sc0r1a
On the side of the seat the controls are:
6 -Way: Front of control is for up & down adj. of front of seat bottom; middle of control is for fore & aft adjustment of seat; rear of control is for up & down adj. of seat bottom.
8-Way: Same as above, except there is a second control, rearward of the main control, that is for the up & down recline feature.
10-Way: Same as above, except there is another control forward of the main control, that is for the in & out lumbar feature in the seat back. (Great on trips!)
Hope this is helpful.
Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Nice post Dan.. i didnt know what the 10 way added feature was. I saw a ZJ in a yard last night that had Custom Coachworks on the rear hatch.. i wanna check that rig out again and see if they have the 10ways.

Heres a pic of the 6way PillowTops i was cleaning up today for my project.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

I was lookin' at mine. Maybe the other models are different. Sorry for any discrepancies. Take Johns word for it. My '97 has the 10-way and I could try to get a pic if needed. I'm brain-dead here.
My '04 only has the 6-way seats and one control and a manual lever.

Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Nice post Dan.. i didnt know what the 10 way added feature was. I saw a ZJ in a yard last night that had Custom Coachworks on the rear hatch.. i wanna check that rig out again and see if they have the 10ways.

Heres a pic of the 6way PillowTops i was cleaning up today for my project.

Those will be nice! Mine are different, so are the controls. I'll try to snag the camera and post a pic.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Thanks for the info blue! That was very helpful.

I'm looking for some replacement front seats for my XJ, and the ZJ seats are able to bolt directly to the existing XJ rails. I found a guy on craigslist that has some out of a '98 that are electric, so I emailed him. Hopefully it's the 6-way.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
Thanks for the info blue! That was very helpful.

I'm looking for some replacement front seats for my XJ, and the ZJ seats are able to bolt directly to the existing XJ rails. I found a guy on craigslist that has some out of a '98 that are electric, so I emailed him. Hopefully it's the 6-way.
That's what we're here here for friend.
They're a little bulky and heavy so shipping might be an issue. I'd check the salvage yards and pic-a-parts near you for some in the color you like. Should be cheaper, plus you're not buying a "pig in a poke" so to speak. JMO
Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

One thing to keep in mind with the ZJ power seats..

Swapped into an XJ you dont get the power features because the seat motors/linkage is attached to frame.. and not the seat. You would retain your manual seats from the XJ originally.

Unless of course you had power XJ seat frames to mount the ZJ seats onto...

That's how i understand it. I'm about to look into non power ZJ seats to a powered ZJ seat frame..

Quick Reply: Electric ZJ seats