Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electric Fan Blade Broke Off And Lodged Into Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Electric Fan Blade Broke Off And Lodged Into Radiator

I had been experiencing some intermittent and unexplained noise and vibration in my 4.7 . Today when I was stopped at a intersection I heard the vibration then a bang. I was close to home , like seconds away so it didn't over heat. I found a section of the electric fan blade broke off and lodged in the radiator. I don't know if it was operating at the time unless they turn on every time the heater blower is on. I was just cruising around the neighborhood so the cooling system wasn't under any stress. That explains the vibration. I guess it cracked from heat, age and fatigued. Then at times would vibrate before it broke off. Anyway. I searched this forum and found the only instruction for replacing the radiator involves removing the whole front end of the vehicle. I have done many radiator transplants over the years and they are a simple couple hour process. I REALLY don't want to pull the front end apart , might there be another way? Please let there be.

Also any recommendations on brand of radiator to buy? I bought it 3 years ago (has 148,00 miles) and I am sure this isn't the stock radiator so I am not sure I need to invest the money in a Chrysler original.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would only replace with an OEM if you plan keeping it for a long time. I have an 04 4.7HO 220,000 mi. original radiator and fans. Having looked at mine I do think that part of the front end will need to be removed to get at everything.

It might be a good time to buy a FSM from pacificcoastmanuals.com a pdf. version that is printable, $7.95 as I recall for them.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004

I replaced mine in my 04 4.7 about a month ago...only the grille fascia, top cover of the core support and hood latch assembly were removed..mine had the hydraulic cooling system where the fan is run by the power steering pump ... not sure about yours...it probably took me a total of 5 hours or so but i was in no rush so i took my time...i bought an OSC radiator off of Amazon for $96 with free shipping...seems like it is a good quality product but only TIME WILL TELL...hopefully it will last a long time
Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

When I replaced my radiator in my Chevy pick-up I did some snooping around and found this guy. I even called and spoke with him. I think you will be okay with the OSC radiator you bought. If this guy is real, from the outside, they all look the same. They look good. But, time will tell as you said. Mine does not have the hydro cooling system so I have one less complication. I am in a time crunch. We have a series of 4 storms heading this way starting Thursday. Not sure I have time to wait fro an AMAZON delivery. An OSC locally is $140.00. Thanks for you time.