Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electical problem! F%$#!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi
Default Electical problem! F%$#!

SO im pretty sure *I* am the cause for the short in one of my low beams. While installing my fog lights. I tied the halo ring into my running lights that worked well... and (Dont laugh if this is a n00b thing to do?) i tried to tie the projectors into the low beam.. didnt work... so i rewired it back together and.. no low beam on passenger side... Only reason i tried to do this was because for some reason my factory foglight wires stopped working randomly! so instead of nipping that problem in the butt i tried to take a shortcut and f***d shyt up! Did i opver power the cable trying to run 3 lamps off it? I figured if it wouldn't work, it just wouldnt work and i could try something else..

So im pretty sure its a short, if it is ill find it no problem... I just wanna check and get another opinion befor i start looking for the short and have to go buy another roll of electrical tape.

I know the bulb and bulb connector works because i connected it to the battery and it lit up. I know its not a loose ground because i kept the positive wire connected and and then attached the ground to the batteries ground and still no light..

If BOTH sides of my fogs don't work thats probably a fuse correct?....
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM

LOL what do i have to do to not sound like a internet n00b on here? I probably shouldn't use crybaby smilies on a man-forum lmfao... or maby im posting shyt in the wrong place?

okayyyyy.. lol ill just go figure it out myself. I made it this far alone and modding **** is just tooo fun... Even if i f*** it up, I usually figure out whats wrong. I don't really know why i ask for help when I know i can just do it myself! I ramble a lot, my friends think im crazy.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Check fuses first, I'm not sure about your year model but many newer vehicles run headlamps on a seperate fuse, even seperate per side.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 AM

Thank a lot! Im so new to this i didnt even know there was a second fuse box under the steering wheel! hidden in plain sight lol. It even had spare fuses... Imagine that lol. I swapped out a red10 for my Right low beam, and a blue15 for my fog lights and everything is great! Except Advanced wont take back the bulb I bought.. Dont blame em lol... Swear you would think the people at advanced would tell you to check the fuses, they all told me i had a short and to see a mechanic. Conspiracy i tell you..

But now all I have do is learn how to wire a Relay so i can run the fog lights. Then move on to my next project. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

There are plenty of pics on how to wire a relay on the internet, google search/google images.

Here is a pretty good pic. The "85" on the relay is basically a low amperage trigger circuit (power-on). 30 & 87 can be reversed but these carry the load of the lamps, one is batt supply and the other goes to the lamps. "86" is the low amperage ground circuit for the relay
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Ok I'm gonna need to take it ez with this so I don't screw anything up, my next off day will be exciting. Thanks again I'll study up on this first