Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

distribiter

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default distribiter

i have a 98 jgc lorado. my problem is theres a tapping noise in the distribter. when i hold my hand against the dist. i can fell something tapping against the inside the distribiter. the moter runs fine. i replaced the cap and button. but still the same tapping noise. anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
Which engine do you have? How long have you owned this vehicle? How long has it done this?
Is the cap screwed down on both sides? Did it do this before you replaced the cap and rotor? How did the old cap look inside? I'd pull the cap off and have someone crank the engine over with the key, and watch the rotor to see if wobbles.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

straight 6 cylinder.bought this jeep week ago. the jeep has 233000 miles on her. the guy i bought it from has done nothing but mainly changed the oil. it had the noise when i bought it. yes it has a screw on each side of the distribeter.when i pulled the cap and button off to replace, i did grab the head of the shaft, before replacing the button and cap. and it had a little wobble to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by daddyrich
straight 6 cylinder.bought this jeep week ago. the jeep has 233000 miles on her. the guy i bought it from has done nothing but mainly changed the oil. it had the noise when i bought it. yes it has a screw on each side of the distribeter.when i pulled the cap and button off to replace, i did grab the head of the shaft, before replacing the button and cap. and it had a little wobble to it.
JMO but the bearing in the distributor may be shot. Red this thread about dist. bearing issues/replacement. >http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...queal-1130228/