Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Death wobble and cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Death wobble and cant figure it out

so i have a 99 wj that has mega death wobble... it has a 2 inch lift and new swaybar end link. every time i hit a bump i get death wobbble to the point where the front wheels lock up... i just changed the pinion out put bearing, crush spacer and seal thinking that was the problem due to the yoke moving around due to a bad bearing.... can anyone help me figure it outtttt.....
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I had the same problem when I had a 2" spacer lift, the guy I bought my Jeep from spent a lot of money trying to get rid of the wobble by replacing the track bar, shocks, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer. I replaced the upper and lower control arms up front and the lower arms in the rear, it made the wobble better, but never cured it. I took the lift out and the Jeep feels like it's brand new with NO death wobble.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

how are the springs? Is the lift installed properly? How are the shocks? There is obviously play somewhere.

And clarify the front wheels locking up....
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The wobble is caused by the fact the track bar and the steering linkage are at different angles and are moving in different arcs. Since the factory geometry is out of wack, hitting a bump will cause the front end to go into a crazy harmonic wobble. The front suspension is fighting with itself.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Engine: Inline 6

yea i was planning on getting a new track bar and drang link do u think that would work
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Model: Cherokee

PLease further explain your front wheels locking up??? That doesent sound like death wobble.

Before you start throwing parts at the jeep, climb underneath and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth to see if anything is loose. Tie rod ends, track bar etc. If any of your steering components are old and worn that could cause it

Make sure everything is lubed, and your all your stuff is torqued to spec.

How is the alignment? caster and camber are a huge deal

Look at your drag link and trac bar. Are they horribly off? The WJ experts might weigh in a little here, but a 2" lift should be within the operating specs of your front suspension, at leat for an XJ. It is usually the higher lifts where that becomes an issue. Just replacing the drag link and trac bar wont fix it if alignment is off.

When I got my XJ I had "death wobble." The problem wasnt one thing, I didnt have one crappy TRE. I had an entire front suspension system that had over a decade of abuse and being driven like a jeep. TRE's were shot, trac bar bushing was garbage, damper was useless. It was the combination of years of wear and tear that caused it for me.

Replacing what was old and worn, as well as an alignment made it all go away.

Do an search for death wobble. There are almost as many sites dedicated to that as there is **** on the internet. . . almost
Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

just my $.02 on my old cheroee i had some non factory offset wheels and i got massive death wobble. then i put stock wheels and some 33x9.5s on for street use and i never had it again. like i said this is just my own experience.
good luck!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

I had the same thing with my 98. You definitely need to get a track bar that is designed for the 2" lift. I have an adjustable one that I can use if I decide to go with a larger lift. The next thing is replace your bushings on the control arms. I recommend getting some polyurethane ones. They just won't wear out like the rubber ones (due to the fact they don't react with the oil/grease like rubber does). You can get a front end bushing kit from Daystar for around $150. Now installing them is a whole other monster. The main thing is: new track bar and new bushings for the control arms.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 AM

Default Death Wobble Fixed

After five months of death wobble scares, my problem is apparently fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. For brevity's sake, I'll spare you all the details of my attempted repairs. A new Mopar steering stabilizer did the trick. The part was $160, but it stopped the wobble. Two other steering stabilizers from AutoZone ($35) and Advance Auto Parts ($65) provided temporary fixes for a few weeks, but then failed. I certainly hope that posting this message won't put a curse on the cure.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Just replacing the stabilizer will be a temporary fix. The wobble will destroy that stabilizer after a while. It is not just one thing. This is a several part fix. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get the properly sized track bar. Next work on your bushings.