Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Death Wobble... basics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Death Wobble... basics?

Just went added 2" to my cherokee (to the 2" I previously had). and I've got some MASSIVE death wobble that hits right at 50mph. Granted I still haven't put my shocks back in yet... but I was thinking that having as many of the basics all consolidated in one place would be great!

These are the things I know so far.

1. When lifting over 3" you probably need to relocate your trackbar, or buy an adjustable/trackbar drop bracket.

2. There could be issues with the castor if lifted over 3". You may need to adjust the castor or take it in for an alignment.

I'm sure there are MANY more causes to Death wobble. Especially as a result of lifting... Post your info here please.

I'll post back as I fix the problem, starting with putting the shocks back in... (that should stop it from bouncing like it has hydraulics... )
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't recommend going 50 without shocks in. in my experience with death wobble, it was caused by alignment. I didn't have enough toe in. I honestly don't think caster being out would cause DW, it will cause the vehicle to pull toward which ever side is shorter. if your not running a steering stabilizer that would be something to add also. I ran for over a year with out correcting the track bar without getting the death wobble.. but all the bushings in my front end where good and tight.
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (03-04-2020)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sportrider
I wouldn't recommend going 50 without shocks in. in my experience with death wobble, it was caused by alignment. I didn't have enough toe in. I honestly don't think caster being out would cause DW, it will cause the vehicle to pull toward which ever side is shorter. if your not running a steering stabilizer that would be something to add also. I ran for over a year with out correcting the track bar without getting the death wobble.. but all the bushings in my front end where good and tight.
castor is one of the main causes of dw as well as any worn out bushings joints or bearings. u need to make ur upper control arms longer by a little bit or shorten the lowers but then u end up hitting the body when u make those shorter. the rear doesnt matter just the front. i would advise getting an adjustabke track bar but not with a tie rod end. go with a big heim joint on both ends. i had a super bad DW problem untill i switched to heims. i also noticed that unbalanced tires are a cause as well as castor angles being off. for some reason tie rods dont hold right n u get bad dw with them. hope this helps
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The vehicle needs to be aligned properly. I had a rustys 3" on my ZJ had terrible DW until I got adjustable control arms and a good alignment