Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Constant Horn HONK - WTF - Even when driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Constant Horn HONK - WTF - Even when driving

2005 Grand Cherokee. Been 2nd owner since 17K miles.

The other day my wife goes to open the driver door and the horn honked continously when she opened it. (no pauses, just constant). She waited (confused) and after about 30 seconds it went off.

She came back later that day and the same thing happened... this time she was upset so she just tried to drive the car home (only afew blocks away) and it drove fine, with the horn still constant... then went off after about 30 seconds.

I am familiar with the OEM alarm being tied into the horn and the door handle. I know about turning the key to get it off. I did all that. It should be noted, there is an aftermarket alarm that was installed 7 years ago, when we got the car.

When I checked the car myself... I found the same issue. The first thing I did was disconnect the horn at the horn itself. I tested again, and heard the relay still clicking under the hood. So I took the relay out.

I'm wondering is the 30 second thing is just some kind of protection from being used constant? Either way... why does it not go off?

What could this be? Relay bad? Something with OEM alarm or aftermarket alarm? NOTE: The car still started, I can't remember is the OEM alarm disabled the car or was just did a horn honk... also I thought it pulsed (not constant)

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I think I would disconnect the fuse or power wire to the aftermarket alarm first. Then reconnect all the horn stuff and see if the problem repeats.

If it does, it's not the aftermarket alarm.

Next it would start looking around the horn pad for chafed wires. Be very careful, the airbag is in there. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before you start messing around in there.

Good luck. This will probably end up being a process of elimination.