Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Computer chip causing jeep not to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Computer chip causing jeep not to start?

Hi all, I just bought my first 93 ZJ. I am a girl and new to wheeling, so please go easy on me through my learning process!

So here's my issue:
The only way you can get the jeep to start is to wait for the check engine light to come on. When its cold, it takes forever to finally come on. I've honestly sat there for 30 minutes this morning turning the key back and forth trying to get this dang light to come on.I'm still not having any luck If you try to start it when the light is not on, it sounds as if it is trying to turn over but can't, as if the starter were going bad.

The girl i bought the jeep from told me that she has taken it to multiple shops and no one seems to know what its problem is. She then told me she joined a forum hoping to get some input and multiple people told her that the computer chip in these jeeps tend to go bad and that was the reason behind the check engine light problem. They told her that any parts store should be able to get the chip for around $100. Otherwise she'd pay around $300 to get it down at a shop.

I've gone to Advance, Auto Zone, and O'reillys and none of them seem to have any idea what kind of computer chip this is or how a chip is causing the problem. 2 stores told me that you can't just buy a chip, that you have to buy the entire computer which runs $250 to $400 depending on brand.

I'm hoping someone on here can give me some insight on this computer chip and where to get it or give me its exact part name so i can tell the parts store geniuses to order it.

And of course other possible causes & solutions to the problems would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

theres no "chip" that can be replaced in the factory computer and the computer it's self can be very costly,does it have some kind of aftermarket performance "chip" or programmer in it? while the computer could be the cause of your problem so could many other things. Your better off having the dealer or even autozone hook up a diagnostics tool/scanner to see what codes the check engine light is throwing then you won't just be replacing parts till you find the fix

you can also try turning the key on(not all the way)off three times and that should give you the codes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Have you tried retrieving any possible trouble codes using the ign. key? If not it goes like this: Do this key movements within 3 seconds Turn key to On pos.(not start), Off, On, Off, On, Off, On...Watch the odometer. The miles should change to a two digit number.
If no codes are stored this number will be 55 which means-"End of Message No Codes Stored". If more numbers appear write them down for trouble shooting purposes. 12 is Battery Power Recently Lost.