Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cold Weather Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Kevin's radiator support/D-ring mount, skyjacker steering stabilizer, 15x10 black cragars
Default Cold Weather Start

Sorry if I have not posted in correct format or section....

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee. Just had a pretty big tune-up done to it. New terminals, flushes, new spark plugs, wires, caps, battery ...et cetera.

The problem is....

It takes forever to start in the cold weather. I end up trying to crank it constantly for about 30 minutes each time. Once it finally turns over, it runs perfect.

Everyone keeps telling me it's just a cold starter, just an older car. I don't see it. I have a CJ5 that is over 30 years old & starts right up. No engine rebuild or any of that.

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

i have the SAME problem. NOOOOO one can seem to find out EXACTLY what it is. i have a 94 GC and trust me i have killed the battery several times. the only remedy i have found for it. is keeping the engine block heater plugged in. a mechanic said it might be the auto choke system on the MPFI system but regardless i simple fix was to just keep the engine block heater. i hope this helps a bit to know at least you can try this and it will start. although idk if you have a engine block heater. if you have one is will be by the power steering pump in a V8 and hear the radiator in a v6 is wha the manual says. so hope it helps some.

-sean
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM

here was my old post and see if its doing the same thing as a wrote.

okay this is the second time this has done this since i have had it. its been cold here past few weeks(ohio) and i useually keep the engine block heater on to keep it warm. well the 2 times i havent its haveing a REALLY hard time starting like i tryed for 2 hours and FINALLY got it running fine. the other day it just wont start it like turns over fine and it will fire and then it will die and it wont start i have killed my batt trying to and after a bit of trying for a while it will finally staret i have to give it gas and it will idle the exaust smells like gas a bit and then its fine no whining from the fuel pump and i had the pressusre checked and its fine. well it hasnt done it for a week and i JUSt got done wgetting it running again and i have NO idea whats going on. it has a 5.2l in it. but now today i mean when i got it started it idles fine it revs fine it drove around the neighbor hood fine and when i turned it off and tried again it wants to die but it doesnt. could it be like a auto choke or something. PLEASE HELP
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Engine: Kevin's radiator support/D-ring mount, skyjacker steering stabilizer, 15x10 black cragars

Originally Posted by Merlinmagic07
here was my old post and see if its doing the same thing as a wrote.

okay this is the second time this has done this since i have had it. its been cold here past few weeks(ohio) and i useually keep the engine block heater on to keep it warm. well the 2 times i havent its haveing a REALLY hard time starting like i tryed for 2 hours and FINALLY got it running fine. the other day it just wont start it like turns over fine and it will fire and then it will die and it wont start i have killed my batt trying to and after a bit of trying for a while it will finally staret i have to give it gas and it will idle the exaust smells like gas a bit and then its fine no whining from the fuel pump and i had the pressusre checked and its fine. well it hasnt done it for a week and i JUSt got done wgetting it running again and i have NO idea whats going on. it has a 5.2l in it. but now today i mean when i got it started it idles fine it revs fine it drove around the neighbor hood fine and when i turned it off and tried again it wants to die but it doesnt. could it be like a auto choke or something. PLEASE HELP
The strange thing is, once mine does turn over, it stays running. Has never died once cranked. (So far) It's the forever long amount of time it takes to crank it that frustrates me
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same issue on a ZJ earlier this winter. It was the PCM. Try this..

Get in the vehicle, turn the key to on.. but not to start. Make sure radio etc is off and you can hear. It could take some time but you'll hear a series of clicks, then hear the fuel pump prime the rail. Then turn the key the rest of the way to start.

If this works it's the computer.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L L6

This may sound dumb but have you checked your IAT or ECT (intake air temp sensor; engine coolant temp. sensor)? Sometimes if the PCM doesn't know how cold the engine/air outside is it takes forever and a day to start.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Thank you.....I was actually told to do that from another friend who owns a Cherokee so I started doing that this week. It has not helped at all. I'm hoping that's a good thing that it does not crank any easier that way, computer problem wise.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRu
This may sound dumb but have you checked your IAT or ECT (intake air temp sensor; engine coolant temp. sensor)? Sometimes if the PCM doesn't know how cold the engine/air outside is it takes forever and a day to start.
I took it to a shop about 2 weeks ago & told them the problem & to check whatever it could be that was causing it. Ended up basically paying $400 for an expensive tune-up that didn't even touch the problem. I will have to specifically ask someone this time to check the things you suggested. Thanks so much!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Right after i posted that. i STUPIDLY didnt plug it in. and it AGAIN KILLED MY BATTERY trying to get it started...took me forever and a day to start it and WHEN i did. start it. a puff of BLACK smoke came out. no blue or white BLACK i was told thats casueed by running to rich or something. and also i have to hold the gas pedel down 1/2 way to keep it running liek if i let go of the pedel it dies i have to hold it down for about 5 mins and then it ran fine. thats what it did today other days it just took ever to start and it started. no idea whats going on
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L L6

Originally Posted by andsuch
I took it to a shop about 2 weeks ago & told them the problem & to check whatever it could be that was causing it. Ended up basically paying $400 for an expensive tune-up that didn't even touch the problem. I will have to specifically ask someone this time to check the things you suggested. Thanks so much!
I don't know where you took your Jeep but you need to find a place with a Derby 1 scanner. Its Chrysler's OBD1 scanner. They can check these 2 sensors via that scanner. Also if you have a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) you can check these sensors yourself with a little help.

Originally Posted by Merlinmagic07
Right after i posted that. i STUPIDLY didnt plug it in. and it AGAIN KILLED MY BATTERY trying to get it started...took me forever and a day to start it and WHEN i did. start it. a puff of BLACK smoke came out. no blue or white BLACK i was told thats casueed by running to rich or something. and also i have to hold the gas pedel down 1/2 way to keep it running liek if i let go of the pedel it dies i have to hold it down for about 5 mins and then it ran fine. thats what it did today other days it just took ever to start and it started. no idea whats going on
You hit that nail on the head. Black is rich. Give me tomorrow and I can bring a poss. diagnostic to ya.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
I had the same issue on a ZJ earlier this winter. It was the PCM. Try this..

Get in the vehicle, turn the key to on.. but not to start. Make sure radio etc is off and you can hear. It could take some time but you'll hear a series of clicks, then hear the fuel pump prime the rail. Then turn the key the rest of the way to start.

If this works it's the computer.
Okay, I've at least figured out how to start it without having to continuously fully turn it over & make all the wracked my neighbors adore at 6am - if I keep turning the key, not fully to start - eventually the "check engine" light comes on - as soon as that light comes on - it cranks right up every time. Sadly though, it takes any where from 5 to 20 minutes for it to finally come on. Is this my computer going bad on me?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andsuch
Okay, I've at least figured out how to start it without having to continuously fully turn it over & make all the wracked my neighbors adore at 6am - if I keep turning the key, not fully to start - eventually the "check engine" light comes on - as soon as that light comes on - it cranks right up every time. Sadly though, it takes any where from 5 to 20 minutes for it to finally come on. Is this my computer going bad on me?
Yes.

Just leave the key in on position, no need to cycle back and forth.

Find the number printed on the ECU attached to pass side firewall and check ebay. Make sure it's a reputable seller, check his feedback.

You can also call the local Jeep dealer and ask for a number for a replacement unit. I did this and found a good reconditioned unit on ebay.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

try taking the comupter out and heat it up when its warm plugg it back in and if it starts up then its a bed computer
Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Thank you

Last edited by andsuch; 03-06-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigwheeler
try taking the comupter out and heat it up when its warm plugg it back in and if it starts up then its a bed computer
Thank you! I'm going to research to find out how to remove the computer & try this.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Start