Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Clutch won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Clutch won't engage

Hey everybody. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the AC isn't blowing cold. I tried adding some refrigerant but the clutch still won't engage. I also replaced the clutch relay but to no avail. The fuses all look ok to me. I've read that I can manually engage the clutch with a paper clip and then add refrigerant but should I have to do that? Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I am going thru the same issue. To make the clutch engage I had to open up fuse box, find the big black square relay fuse for AC Clutch, take it out, connect wire to positive battery terminal, turn the Jeep on, crank AC on, put fan on high, go back to engine, use other end of the wire and put it into one of the prong holes and you will hear the clutch engage. Let it spin for a few minutes and then cut the Jeep off. Remove wire and put the fuse back in, and once you crank your Jeep back up the clutch should be good to go! I've been working on mine all day, tried all sorts of things, so I hope this works for you. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You obviously have no idea of how the A/C works. Take it to a shop before you screw it all up. You should never have to add refrigerant, you have a leak someplace.