Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Clunking Noise while slowing/stopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Clunking Noise while slowing/stopping

I have searched and have not found anything that is quite like my problem.

I have a 2000 WJ 4.0. When I slow to a stop, I have a clunking sound coming from my passenger front wheel well. I already changed rotors and pads on both sides up front. The clink was there before the swap and still exists. It doesn’t do it in reverse, only forward. Also, I can back up and pull forward in the driveway and can hear the clunk then so it’s not just while driving on the road. I can also feel a knock or vibration in my feet on the drivers side but I imagine that is just a transfer of vibration from the passenger side. I did look at the front driveshaft as well. It has some twisting play which I’ve read is normal. It doesn’t have any up/down or side-to-side play but does have some front to back play I I grab it and push/pull from front to back. Could it be the driveshaft? Or could I have gotten some defective pads? I should note that the odd did not come with new pad pins but the ones that were on it seem pretty tight. Should I maybe look at the caliper bolt slide pins? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I would get the front end in the air and start shaking down the front end. Check for worn ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, etc.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would do what Jeepin said and also check to see upper and lower control arms you could have worn bushings or a loose bolt. Also check the axle shafts too for excessive rotational play.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Check the caliper bolts, they can strip out from over tightening, quite common. Fix is a helicoil kit with standard thread inserts and a special sti tap.
Also check the spindle for ruts worn into it by the pads. Had to weld mine up and grind back down flat, which was better but not perfect. If you do a real good job you can get it good as factory.
Also check for loose lugs, snapped sway bar links that look ok at first glance.
Check for a rusted dust plate hitting the rotor.
Also check ball joints and tie rods and track bar, and track bar mount bolts on the frame by the steering box.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 11-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Petrol

Check the rubber gaiters on the CV joints for splits - CV joints can make a knocking noise if worn, especially when under load.
Is the knocking noise worse when making turns ?