Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Clunking noise when decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8
Default Clunking noise when decelerating

Hello guys! I have a grand Cherokee 94 Laredo v8 5.2 and I've been hearing and feeling this heavy and clunking noise while decelerating at about 20mph or when I come to a complete stop. Just had my tranny rebuilt and thought that was the problem, so I ended up taking it back to the transmission shop and they said it wasn't the transmission. Help! Any ideas ? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by CHUYMEX87
Hello guys! I have a grand Cherokee 94 Laredo v8 5.2 and I've been hearing and feeling this heavy and clunking noise while decelerating at about 20mph or when I come to a complete stop. Just had my tranny rebuilt and thought that was the problem, so I ended up taking it back to the transmission shop and they said it wasn't the transmission. Help! Any ideas ? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Of course they did, nobody likes come-backs, lol. I'd recommend taking it to a different shop, have them diagnose it & give you a written estimate. If it is the transmission, take the estimate to the first shop and let em know they can fix it or pay shop#2 to fix it.

If not the transmission, it's likely the u-joints or pinion. But if it wasn't doing this before they "fixed" your trans, and now it is...

Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 AM

I can of trust the guy at the transmission shop since he gave me his word of taking back if the trans failed. So I'm gonna start by replacing the u joints hoping this fixes the problem. Do you know any good Jeep shop located in California in Los Angeles county?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by CHUYMEX87
I can of trust the guy at the transmission shop since he gave me his word of taking back if the trans failed. So I'm gonna start by replacing the u joints hoping this fixes the problem. Do you know any good Jeep shop located in California in Los Angeles county?
Was 'his word' something written down in the form of a warranty? I could be wrong, but it seems to me the trans did fail, and he isn't keeping his word. This clunking could be the ujoints or pinion, but this would be something you'd hear when decelerating from any speed. Happening at low speed when coming to a stop is more likely the trans, clunking as it downshifts. Could be something as simple as a crossmember bolt left loose, or something internal.

But just "popping up" after having the trans serviced? I'd suspect the trans more than some unrelated part failing at just that moment. Just get it diagnosed by another shop(don't know any near you, I'm in Texas), they'll tell you if it's the ujoints, trans, or something else. Don't just throw blind repairs at it hoping it'll fix it, that's money down the toilet.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Thank you very much for your help I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

X2 regarding transmission and cross-member mounts. A flashlight and a shorty pry-bar will help you find it. Start at the trans tail shaft mount, checking upper and lower bolts for tightness/slop, as well as the rubber pad in-between (look for possible split). Repeat for engine mounts. Other than that, check exhaust pipe supports and proximity of exhaust pipes to engine, trans and main prop shaft. There's a pipe hanger rod/bracket on the trans cross-member that is often overlooked or broken. Any one or some of the above may be the cause...