Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Check Engine Light Flashing (below radio)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Wink Check Engine Light Flashing (below radio)

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee with a straight 6, 268,000 mi. This is my first Jeep but I love it. Anything with that many miles and still running as good as it it does gets my vote! Now onto the problem...
When I bought it (for $600..yay!!) there were messages flashing on the screen below the radio saying Check engine oil, Wiper sensor bad, and Coolant low. The oil level is good as is the coolant level. The guy said it had been doing that since he got it. I dont think the vehicle had been cared for very well. So since I have had I make sure to check all the fluids regularly.
I was driving last night and all the messages were flashing as usual then it went black. It was off for a about 15 min then came back on but was flashing the date and time. It did this for about 15 min then again went black but came back on flashing again. I cant get anything to set to stop the flashing.
Any ideas?
p.s. I am a woman and while I know the basics of car repair I dont know the lingo or the abbreviations so please dummy it down..
Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Ok, so you have checked all the fluids are they are where they are supposed to be. Good. Try resetting the computer so that all codes are erased. This way, if it starts flashing again you know you have a bonafide issue.

Disconnet the Negative cable on the battery and leave it disconnected for about 15 minutes. Of course when you do this you will loose all radio settings and the clock will have to be reset. After about 15 minutes, reconnect and drive away. Everytime the car is started the onboard computer does a quick diagnostic check on everything. If it has a problem it reports (flashing Check Engine Light). It does nothing by way of repairs. If the repair(s) have been made and the computer does not get reset it will still report the problem for the next 50 or so car starts.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Model: Cherokee

Thank you for the response. I took the cable off and was able to reset the time and date. The check oil and bad washer sensor is still blinking but as long as the oil is full and the pressure is good I really dont have anything to worry about..right? I did change the oil, trans. fluid, dist. cap and plugs when I got it and it seems to be running great. The check engine light on the dash is on too but has always been. I did the key thing on and off 3 times and got codes 34 and 55. 34 indicates a cruise control circuit which I dont use the cruise anyway. So hopefully everything is ok.. I will keep watch. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

its flashing a code, when you start it up count how many times it flashes it should pause then it will start flashing again it should give you something like 5 flashes pause then 8 flashes. if you have a haynes manual it will tell you the codes in there.